Hi John:

I started caving in the east where private ownership of caves was the norm. New
York and New England, then Virginia and West Virginia. I moved west and have
dealt with government ownership of caves: State or Federal by various agencies.
So I understand your issues quite well. In many ways it is fair to say that we
cavers are now reaping what we have sowed. The history of the last 50 years of
exploration and discovery in Ft. Stanton cave in New Mexico (as well documented
in the recent publication 12 Miles from Daylight ) so clearly documents the
complications resulting from agency ownership. The way we go caving is affected
by the way caves are owned and managed: by an individual, a family, a private
trust, or a bureaucracy.

That, however, is a different (but not entirely unrelated) question from the
one I intended to ask, which was focused on the future membership of the NSS.
How do we acquire new NSS members? Most members have been recruited either from
existing cavers or by NSS groups recruiting new members from the interested
public through structured educational and recruitment campaigns. Most of us
probably agree that our goal is to create an educated public aware of the value
and fragility of our cave resources as well as a body of people who actually
spend some of their time exploring and studying caves.

The intended goal of my question is to lead to new, younger, members of the NSS
to carry on our goals into the changing future.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments. You raise the management issues that
complicate our enjoyment of "just going caving".

DirtDoc
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dirt Doc Question
By: John Hutchison (White House, Tennessee)
idigca...@yahoo.com

Dwight Deal asked a question. "In your thinking, John, what is the
balance between cavers and the caves? Our near-term experiences vrs the
resource itself?'

All I have to relate to is my own personal observance. In years past
caves were much easier to visit when they were privately owned. Once
government became involved the issue of access became a hassle, an extra
expense, and worst of all, a no go. Today, most government owned, or
controlled caves are closed outright (unless you know the right person).
Others require a permit, hunting license fee, or all three. One area in
my state wants to charge everyone $15 a day per vehicle for a day trip
and that does not include a permit to go caving. No camping, no caving,
even though there are some great caves on the property. It is also a
hassle to acquire the land permit as you have to go when the office is
open and it is often not close to where you want to go. Private
landowners were much easier to deal with. You went, you asked and you
got to go or you didn't. Free.

Here in TN we had a great cove and cave called Camps Gulf. Both were
pristine. Then the local state park acquired the cave and began
shuttling non caver tourists to the cave. Once they knew where it was
they would sometimes come back on their own and trash the cave. So that
was the excuse used to gate off the entire cove. No more camping, no
more driving a 4x4 up the cove. The cave was pristine before the state
acquired it. So is it really better when everything is "proteceted"?
Once "protected" people tend to sneak or breach a gate and vandalize
just because they are P.O.'d that they can't access "public" owned land.

So, as far as I can tell, the best protection of all, was not telling
the general public where all the caves are. Grottoes were the best way
to learn caver etiquette, proper procedures, safety, environmental
concerns, technique, equipment, and cave locations while accompanied by
trained cavers.

The state of TN has bought up thousands of acres of land with hundreds
of great caves and paid for it with public money yet most of it is off
limits to the public. Is that really right? I don't think so. Sometimes
I wish I could live in the past.