It seems that as of July 2017, Facebook is currently more active with
caving related topics than on listserves.

Feel free to correct me.

Is is just a fad ??

For example, almost all of the reports coming in this week from the
Australian speleo event
are being only discussed via Facebook.     Various things related to caving
projects
are only mentioned on Facebook.

I have been trying hard to stay off of Facebook, and I am sure I use it now
far less than
the average computer user.

I gave up on the other social media services 2 or 3 years ago, although I
never deleted
my accounts.    I still have not decided what to do about Linkedin.    I
have never paid for
it, in part because I haven't found it productive to my needs.

Most of the people I am connected to on Facebook, I hardly even know them,
or at
best are acquaintances.    I am definitely not the typical Facebook user.

On a related note to technology,

I still have no idea what SnapChat is, nor FaceTime.    I do have What's Ap
on my phone
and had tried it once to video call my nephew down in Mexico.

Speaking of apps, I recently bought a monthly subscription to CS Camscanner
for $ 4.99, and paid for
10 faxes for $ 8.99.    That came in handy.

I have never used Skype.    I am certain I am years behind on some of that
smartphone app stuff, as
I have never used voice-activated things, or those pay scanner things.

I have recently started using SQUARE for my business, because my #1
customer pays me 2 or 3 days in advance
with that app.    But that is the only customer so far.    I did not have
any luck with PayPal or Venmo or
Chase Quickpay.

I have never used an Apple phone, so I am way behind on any topic related
to that, especially Apply Pay.
And I have never used Google Pay or Samsung Pay, etc.

I use a Chase Liquid account, which is nothing more than a fancy
re-loadable gift card.     That seems
to be better than carrying cash, although, I have been places that would
not accept it, like the
d*mned Official Greyhound bus stop at a Convenience Store.

David Locklear