The new Strawberry-Mango Chicken Salad at Wendy's gets the Official
Locklear Seal of Approval.

Back in 1984, when I started going on road-trips, we were very limited at
fast food stops and there was not time or money to sit down at a
restaurant, plus we were often dressed like vagabonds, especially after a
caving trip.  There was no Taco Cabana, nor Chick-Filet, nor Canes, nor
Carl Juniors, nor anything fancy like Freddy's or Ruby's.    There was
Dairy Mart, Dairy King, Dairy Queen, etc. Whataburger was in very limited
places, and many places closed at 9 p.m.   It was like living in repressed
3rd world country by 2017 standards.   ( There is a country song about this
- It was not just a different time, but a different world ).

We would often eat our own snacks.   I would carry crackers and cold
imitation crab salad.  And sardines and tiny cans of Deviled Roast Beef.

I recall one A.S.S. trip to Enchanted Rock in 1987 where 3 of us split a
cold can of refried beans and cold flour tortillas, because our 4th party
was getting his final cord X-Rayed at Fredricksberg Hospital, and we all
got very hungry waiting in the Waiting Room to find out if he was going to
be paralyzed or not.

Years later on other trips,

I was always surprised when I would hook up with San Antonio cavers as they
had a travelling chef accompany them.

I heard a rumor that hard-core cavers in the 60's and 70's were so tough
and hardened, that they could eat roadkill, or dog biscuits to survive.

David Locklear

Ref.:

https://youtu.be/HJWEvP9gtww