It’s common for people see geophysics as a solution, but it often isn’t that
easy. The tools are not one-size-fits-all. Some work in certain circumstances
and poorly, if at all in others. The equipment is expensive and thus not often
available. NCKRI’s electrical resistivity system cost $82K, plus an additional
$35K for some needed associated equipment. Maintenance, repair, and calibration
are also costly, requiring not just money but time and expertise. Of course
expertise is needed in determining which system to use, how to design your
survey, and how to process and interpret the results. Then there is the
difficulty with the karst features themselves. Most features I’ve found in the
Balcones Fault Zone area are small and difficult to image, unless you increase
the resolution of the methods which seriously drives up the costs.

All that said, geophysics are great and useful, but just not easy or cheap.

George

********************
George  Veni, PhD
Executive Director, National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI)
and
President, International Union of Speleology (UIS)

NCKRI address (primary)
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220 USA
Office: +575-887-5517