From: Texascavers <texascavers-boun...@texascavers.com> On Behalf Of George Veni
Sent: Saturday, August 3, 2019 12:59 AM
To: texascavers@texascavers.com
Subject: Re: [Texascavers] MOPAC extension meets "karst features"

Microgravity is a great technique, but like everything has its pros and cons.
The units themselves run in the $70,000-$90,000 range, depending on the model.
Unlike resistivity and some other methods that give you measurements throughout
the slice of earth you are studying, microgravity gives data for each point
measured, which is then interpolated for the areas in between.

If you're looking for typical meter-diameter or smaller karst features found in
the MOPAC area, you're talking about making measurements every meter if you
want to maximize the chances of finding them. So if you're looking only at a
100 m x 100 m area, and measuring a 1-m grid, that's 10,000 individual
measurements. If the technician making the measurements is good and
very fast, you're looking at best at 1 measurement every 10 minutes, which
totals nearly 17,000 hours, which at a typical consulting rate for a technician
of $50/hour that's $85,000 just for the field work, which doesn't include data
entry, processing, analysis, etc. to get the actual usable results--and the
folks who will do that will charge substantially more.

I forgot to mention in my previous message that with geophysics you also often
have to trade depth of study for the level of detail. Usually, if you are
looking for small features you can't see deeply. If you look deep, you usually
aren't seeing small features, only big ones. Sometimes two surveys are done by
the same technique of the same area, one to look shallowly and one deeply.

To complicate matters further and add to the costs, all geophysical techniques
have strengthens and weaknesses. I usually like to use microgravity and
electrical resistivity together because they complement each other nicely.
Where each is weak, the other is strong, so if you get a hit on both you have
much higher confidence in your interpretation and in avoiding false positives
and negatives.

No matter what system you choose, high costs and technical complications and
limitations will keep the effort from being easy or cheap.

George

(Sent from my mobile phone)
********************
George  Veni, PhD
Executive Director, National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI)
and
President, International Union of Speleology (UIS)

NCKRI address (primary)
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220 USA
Office: +575-887-5517
Mobile: +210-863-5919
Fax: +575-887-5523
gv...@nckri.org<mailto:gv...@nckri.org>
www.nckri.org<http://www.nckri.org>

UIS address
Titov trg 2
Postojna, 6230 Slovenia
***This is an external email - beware links & attachments from unknown
senders***