Andy,

There are many caves on the former El Max Ranch. The stratigraphy of the area
needs a closer look. To the east at Honey Creek we see a well-defined and
distinctive 9-m thick biostrome (a fossil reef bed) in which Honey Creek Cave
is formed. That biostrome unit isn't exposed in the El Max/CWAN area. Those
caves are stratigraphically higher in a part of the lower member of the Glen
Rose that clearly forms abundant caves there, but relatively few and smaller
caves to the east. Maybe this is simply a bias created by the properties cavers
had had permission to explore, or maybe there is something going on
geologically creating a true difference in cave development.

The USGS has conducted detailed geologic mapping north of Bexar County. They
recently completed some nice work in Comal County. I don't recall if they told
me they would be mapping in Kendall County, which would help answer these
questions, or if they just hoped for funding to map that county. Geary might
know.

George

(Sent from my mobile phone)
********************
George  Veni, PhD
Executive Director, National Cave and Karst Research Institute (NCKRI)
and
President, International Union of Speleology (UIS)

NCKRI address (primary)
400-1 Cascades Avenue
Carlsbad, New Mexico 88220 USA
Office: +575-887-5517