David, my church put together a quinceanera for a girl whose mother could
not afford anything. Dad did not contribute and was absent, unable to sober
up enough to even show up. We had it in the church meeting hall and we all
contributed to supply food & drink, photos and a lot of support for the
mom, who provided the formal gown the girl wore. It's a formal
coming-of-age ceremony for the girl. Perhaps this can be a way of getting
closer with your kid. Best, Carol Russell

Apologies for non-caving material