Tuesday evening I attended the Texas Commission on Water Quality (TCEQ)
public hearing in Bulverde regarding a developer's application to build
four houses per acre, many hundreds of new homes, in the Honey Creek
drainage basin and be able to dump 500,000 of treated sewage into Honey
Creek, effluent which will at times of high water make its way into the
pristine environment of Texas' longest cave. Comments were made by several
Texas cavers, including Joe Ransau, Kurt Menking, Linda Palit, Sandy
Mosier, Allan Cobb, Andy Glusenkamp, and me. To me, the most moving comment
made was that by the cave's owner, and a good friend to our caving
community, Joyce Moore. Here it is in its entirety.

Bill Steele   speleoste...@aol.com

Honey Creek Discharge Permit Comments

from Honey Creek Spring Ranch

by Joyce Moore

My name is Joyce Gass Moore. I am a 5th-generation Texas, and a 5th-generation
co-owner of Honey Creek Spring Ranch.  Our ranch is located in far western
Comal County, and downstream of a proposed Silesia properties development
known as Honey Creek Ranch. And so I speak to you today not only as an
affected landowner, but as a very concerned citizen.

When my son and nephew take over the management of Honey Creek Spring
Ranch, it will represent 6 generations of continuous family ownership and a
legacy of stewardship dating back to 1846 when my ancestors first set foot
on Texas soil. As German-immigrants, my family was one of only a few who
homesteaded western Comal County—3 of whom (all neighbors) applied for land
deeds on the same day in 1871. Because the waters of Honey Creek were so
important to the settlement of Comal County, our entire ranch was
recognized as a State Historic Site by the Texas Historical Commission; and
in 2018 was Listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S.
Department of the Interior National Park Service.

My ancestors knew hardship and fought to protect their land and Honey Creek.
They carved the ranch out of cedar and live oak covered hills, suffered
thru drought, disease, and bank failures, and sacrificed everything they
had to nurture, protect, and improve the land they loved. And now—150 years
later, once again we are threatened by those who seek to cash in on the
land in order to capitalize on its value. Despite what they may tell you,
these folks do not hold the best interest of the land or its natural
resources at heart. This is very evident in the description of the
development being planned. My ancestors would be so deeply disappointed in
what western Comal County has become, and in the landowners, who are
allowing this to happen.

The Texas Hill Country is known for its aesthetic beauty—people have been
drawn to this area for generations—drawn to its crystal-clear streams and
scenic vistas. Unfortunately, all this beauty rests atop a particularly
fragile ecosystem—a calcareous limestone substrate known as *karst*.
Although not a geologist or a hydrologist, I do understand how infiltration
works—how water moves thru a karst system. Surface recharge features
(cracks, fissures, pits, sumps) are all designed to move water quickly into
subterranean acquifers (the Edwards, the Trinity, and Cow Creek are all
examples). These aquifers provide the drinking water for millions of
people. Springs flowing from these same aquifers provide critical habitat
to a unique group of plant and animal species—many of which are found only
in the most protected streams and riparian areas of Central Texas. Until
this proposed development and wastewater discharge became a possibility,
Honey Creek was one of the most protected aquatic systems in the Hill
Country.

The number of these pristine riparian systems are shrinking rapidly—most of
it due to rampant and unregulated development over the recharge area, and
the failure of an already-broken system intended to regulate the disposal
of wastewater. I think it very ironic that the name chosen for the area by
my ancestors (Honey Creek) is the same name chosen by newcomers to become
their sales pitch.  It is the same aquatic system that will be destroyed if
this Honey Creek Ranch permit is approved.

Treated effluent discharged into a tributary of Honey Creek will
absolutely, negatively impact water quality--primarily through significant
increases of Nitrogen and Phosphate levels. These nutrients will encourage
the growth of algae and will degrade the recreational and aesthetic value
of Honey Creek. Decaying mats of algae will impact Dissolved Oxygen levels
and will almost certainly have a devastating effect on aquatic life.  The
introduction of Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products contained in the
effluent will eventually enter Honey Creek and then will become a dramatic
example of how a once un-impaired aquatic system with exceptional levels of
aquatic life use, was degraded due to wastewater and high-density
residential development. It will become yet another Poster Child for Poor
Management—all in the Name of Progress!

And if 500,000 gallons of treated wastewater discharge were not a large
enough problem, the non-point source pollution reaching the creek during
storm events and leaching into the aquifer will be an even greater problem.
Herbicides, pesticides, and fertilizers used on turfgrass lawns, and
oil/fluids leaking from thousands of additional cars will wreak havoc on
our groundwater.  Because of the immense footprint of this development,
open ground will be significantly diminished; stormwater runoff will
increase from the many impervious surfaces (roads, driveways, and
rooftops). As a result, downstream flooding of Honey Creek will increase in
both rate and severity, greatly increasing soil erosion along the
streambed, and resulting in significantly diminished water quality. The
pristine Honey Creek as I know it, as my family knows it, will be but a
fleeting memory. This includes not only the stream itself, but also a 20+
mile network of subterranean, water-filled karst passage known as Honey
Creek Cave. The cave and spring system form yet another unique ecosystem
which has been studied and documented on our ranch for over 40 years by
trained experts (many of whom are in this room tonight). It is inhabited by
unique aquatic species, several of which are state threatened, and at least
one which may possibly receive federal protection, and all of which are
considered Species of Greatest Conservation Need. Without question, ALL of
these species (which require clean, clear water to survive) will be
negatively impacted, and most likely extirpated. Who will monitor the
effluent discharge with regard to its environmental impacts? And when
violations occur, will the violators be held accountable? The irony is that
*when* the sewage treatment plant fails (because ALL eventually fail), the
damage suffered by the ecosystem will already have taken its toll.

Trespass will now also become a major problem to those of us who live
downstream. Ambitious adventurers will trek illegally from their suburban
lots seeking open space. They will venture onto adjoining properties such
as the state-owned Honey Creek State Natural Area and beyond. What
assurances do neighboring landowners have that measures will be taken to
prevent trespass and vandalism, and who will pay for it when it happens?
Who will be held accountable?

As a downstream property owner; as a directly-impacted landowner with
standing, I respectfully request to file a contested case hearing in this
matter. And I would ask the members of TCEQ (those present here tonight,
and those who will decide the eventual fate of Honey Creek), to explain how
such a permit can even be considered for approval? Unfortunately, God is
not creating any more Honey Creek’s, and we are destroying these special
places at a rapid pace. I urge TCEQ to do the right thing instead of
rubber-stamping this project as your agency has a history of doing. And if
it is approved, I hope that each of you can live with your decision, as I
and Honey Creek will be forced to do.