---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: p.v. narayanan
Subject: Fwd: The twenty four Gurus of Dattatreya :
To:


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Rajasubramanian
Date: Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Subject: The twenty four Gurus of Dattatreya :


Guru Sri Dattatreya Teachings 

The twenty four Gurus of Dattatreya :



When Guru Dattatreya was a child, a king visited the ashram. Because
his parents were away, Dattatreya greeted the king and the king saw an
inner joy radiating from the boy. The king immediately realized that
the boy was gifted with great wisdom and started talking to him.

King: You have been studying with your parents?

Dattatreya: There is much to learn from everyone and everything, not
only from my parents.

King: Then you have a teacher? Who is it?

Dattatreya: I have 24 gurus.

King: Twenty-four gurus at such a tender age? Who are they?

Dattatreya: Mother earth is my first guru. She taught me to hold those
who trample me, scratch me, and hurt me lovingly in my heart, just as
she does. She taught me to give them my best, remembering that their
acts are normal and natural from their standpoint.

King: Who is your second guru?

Dattatreya: Water it is a force that contains life and purity. It
cleanses whatever it touches and provides life to whoever drinks it.
Water flows unceasingly. If it stops, it becomes stagnant. Keep moving
is the lesson I learned from water.

King: Your third guru?

Dattatreya: Fire. It burns everything, transforming it into flame. By
consuming dead logs, it produces warmth and light. Thus, I learnt how
to absorb everything that life brings and how to turn it into flame.
This flame enlightens my life and in that light, others can walk
safely.

King: Who is your fourth guru, sir?

Dattatreya: Wind is my fourth guru. The wind moves unceasingly,
touching flowers and thorns alike, but never attaches itself to the
objects it touches. Like the wind, I learned not to prefer flowers
over thorns or friends over foes. Like the wind, my goal is to provide
freshness to all without becoming attached.

King: The fifth guru, sir?

Dattatreya: This all-pervading and all-embracing space is my fifth
guru. Space has room for the sun, moon, and stars and yet, it remains
untouched and unconfined. I, too, must have room for all the
diversities, and still remain unaffected by what I contain. All
visible and invisible objects may have their rightful place within me,
but they have no power to confine my consciousness.

King: Who is your sixth guru, sir?

Dattatreya: The moon. The moon waxes and wanes and yet never loses its
essence, totality, or shape. From watching the moon, I learned that
waxing and waning-rising and falling, pleasure and pain, loss and
gain-are simply phases of life. While passing through these phases, I
never lose awareness of my true Self.

King: Who is your seventh guru?

Dattatreya: The sun is my seventh guru. With its bright rays, the sun
draws water from everything, transforms it into clouds, and then
distributes it as rain without favor. Rain falls on forests,
mountains, valleys, deserts, oceans, and cities. Like the sun, I
learned how to gather knowledge from all sources, transform that
knowledge into practical wisdom, and share it with all without
preferring some recipients and excluding others.

King: And your eighth guru?

Dattatreya: My eighth guru is a flock of pigeons. One pigeon fell into
a hunter's net and cried in despair. Other pigeons tried to rescue it
and got caught, too. From these pigeons, I learned that even a
positive reaction, if it springs from attachment and emotion, can
entangle and ensure.

King: Your ninth guru, sir?

Dattatreya: My ninth guru is the python who catches and eats its prey,
and then doesn't hunt again for a long time. It taught me that once my
need has been met, I must be satisfied and not make myself miserable
running after the objects of my desire.

King: Who is your tenth guru?

Dattatreya: the Ocean, which is the abode of the waters. It receives
and assimilates water from all the rivers in the world and never
overflows its boundaries. It taught me that no matter what experiences
I go through in life, no matter how many kicks and blows I receive, I
must maintain my discipline.



King: Who is your eleventh guru, oh wise one?

Dattatreya: The moth is my eleventh guru. Drawn by light, it flies
from its dwelling to sacrifice itself in the flame. It taught me that
once I see the dawn, I must overcome my fear, soar at full speed, and
plunge into the flame of knowledge to be consumed and transformed.



King: The twelfth?

Dattatreya: My twelfth guru is a bumblebee who takes only the tiniest
drops of nectar from the flowers. Before accepting even that much, it
hums and hovers and dances, creating an atmosphere of joy around the
flower. It not only sings the song of cheerfulness; it also gives more
to the flowers than it takes. It pollinates the plants and helps them
prosper by flying from one flower to another. I learned from the
bumblebee that I should take only a little from nature and that I
should do so cheerfully, enriching the source from which I receive
sustenance.



King: Your thirteenth guru?

Dattatreya: My thirteenth guru is the honeybee who collects more
nectar than it needs. It gathers nectar from different sources,
swallows it, transforms it into honey, and brings it to the hive. It
consumes only a bit of what it gathers, sharing the rest with others.
Thus I should gather wisdom from the teachers of all disciplines and
process the knowledge that I gain. I must apply the knowledge that is
conducive to my growth, but I must be ready to share everything I know
with others.



King: The fourteenth guru, oh wise seeker?

Dattatreya: Once I saw a wild elephant being trapped. A tame female
elephant in season was the bait. Sensing her presence, the wild male
emerged from its domain and fell into a pit that had been cleverly
concealed with branches and heaps of leaves. Once caught, the wild
elephant was tamed to be used by others. This elephant is my
fourteenth guru because he taught me to be careful with my passions
and desires. Worldly charms arouse our sensory impulses and, while
chasing after the sense cravings, the mind gets trapped and enslaved,
even though it is powerful.



King: Who is your fifteenth guru, sir?

Dattatreya: The deer, with its keen sense of hearing. It listens
intently and is wary of all noises, but is lured to its doom by the
melody of the deer hunter's flute. Like the deer, we keep our ears
alert for every bit of news, rumor, and gossip, and are skeptical
about much that we hear. But we become spellbound by certain words,
which, due to our desires, attachments, cravings, and vasanas (subtle
impressions from the past), we delight to hear. This tendency creates
misery for others and ourselves.



King: And who is your sixteenth guru?

Dattatreya: The fish who swallows a baited hook and is caught by the
fisherman. This world is like bait. As long as I remember the episode
of the fish, I remain free of the hook.



King: Who is your seventeenth guru?

Dattatreya: A prostitute who knows that she doesn't love her
customers, nor do they love her. Yet she waits for them and, when they
come, enacts the drama of love. She isn't satisfied with the
artificial love she gives and receives, nor with the payment she is
given. I realized that all humans are like prostitutes and the world,
like the customers, is enjoying us. The payment is always inadequate
and we feel dissatisfied. Thus, I became determined not to live like a
prostitute. Instead, I will live with dignity and self-respect, not
expecting this world to give me either material or internal
satisfaction, but to find it myself by going within.



King: Who is your eighteenth guru?

Dattatreya: My eighteenth guru is a little bird who was flying with a
worm in its beak. Larger birds flew after him and began pecking him.
They stopped only when the little bird dropped the worm. Thus, I
learned that the secret of survival lies in renunciation, not in
possession.



King: Who is your nineteenth guru, sir?

Dattatreya: My nineteenth guru is the baby that cries when it is
hungry and stops when it suckles at its mother's breast. When the baby
is full, it stops feeding and nothing its mother does can induce it to
take more milk. I learned from this baby to demand only when I really
need. When it's provided, I must take only what I require and then
turn my face away.



King: And your twentieth guru?

Dattatreya: A young woman whom I met when I was begging for alms. She
told me to wait while she prepared a meal. Her bracelets jangled as
she cooked, so she removed one. But the noise continued, so she took
off all her bracelets, one by one, until only one remained. Then there
was silence. Thus, I learned that wherever there is a crowed, there is
noise, disagreement, and dissension. Peace can be expected only in
solitude.



King: And your twenty-first guru?

Dattatreya: A snake that makes no hole for itself, but who rests in
holes other creatures have abandoned, or curls up in the hollow of a
tree for a while, and then moves on. From this snake, I learned to
adjust myself to my environment and enjoy the resources of nature
without encumbering myself with a permanent home. Creatures in nature
move constantly, continually abandoning their previous dwellings.
Therefore, while floating along the current of nature, I find plenty
of places to rest. Once I am rested, I move on.



King: And your twenty-second guru?



Dattatreya: My twenty-second guru is an arrow maker who was so
absorbed in shaping his arrowheads that the king and his entire army
passed without attracting his attention. Thus I learned from the arrow
maker to be absorbed in the task at hand, no matter how big or small.
The more one-pointed my focus, the greater my absorption, and the
greater my absorption, the more subtle my awareness. The goal is
subtle, and can only be grasped by subtle awareness.



King: Your twenty-third guru?

Dattatreya: My twenty-third guru is a little spider who built itself a
nice cozy web. When a larger spider chased it, it rushed to take
refuge in its web. But it ran so fast that it got entangled and was
swallowed by the bigger spider. Thus, I learned that we create webs
for ourselves by trying to build a safe haven, and as we race along
the threads of these webs, we become entangled and are consumed. There
is no safety to be found in the complicated webs of our actions.

King: And who is your twenty-fourth guru?



Dattatreya: My twenty-fourth guru is a worm who was caught by a
songbird and placed in its nest. As the bird began singing, the worm
became so absorbed in the song that it lost all awareness of its
peril. Watching this little creature become absorbed in a song in the
face of death reminded me that I, too, must develop the art of
listening so that I my become absorbed in the eternal sound, nada,
that is always within me. Listening to Dattatreya, the king realized
that the wisdom of this sage flowed from his determination to keep the
goal of life firmly fixed in his awareness and from his ability to
find the teachings everywhere he turned.








--
P.V.NARAYANAN

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to