CULTURAL QA03-2021-01

Being  a compilation there may  be errors 

Q1         Why do trains idle allnight? Why are train engines not turned off?

A1          Shared by Girija DeviErikaFernandez 1-3-2021 Works at Freelancer, 
Novelist, Writer

In case you haven't noticed, diesel trains are never turned off. They are 
always leftrunning. But, why would the railway department waste so much fuel 
ifthe train isn't moving! It seems a bit strange, right?

Of course, diesel locomotives are not kept running for all its lifetime. It's 
just that diesel trains arekept running for long periods of time, even at a 
stop. At least someof you might've noticed this, while the train is halted at 
the stations forlong periods of time. That said, here's why diesel trains are 
not turned offthat often!

It is a common thing in trains, to lose the brake pressure due toleakage. Most 
of youwould've heard the loud hissing sound coming from under the train, when 
it isstopped at the railway station.

If the engine is turned off for long periods of time, it takes anotherlong span 
of time to repressurise the brake lines. Trains, being large and heavy, need 
the optimal brake line pressure forits efficient stopping. For obvious reasons, 
loco pilots never compromise onbrake line pressure.

Another reason for not turning off diesel train engines, lies in theengine 
itself. If the engine hasn't been started since long (or, if theengine is 
cold), it takes quite an effort to restart it. Depending onthe size and 
construction of the engine, it can take 10 to 20 minutes just tostart it.

A train's diesel engine is a large unit, with around 16 cylinders. Diesel 
engines work on compression ignition and do not have an externalignition agent 
(spark plugs) as in petrol engines. So, in order to starta diesel engine, it 
has to attain its optimal working temperature by air-fuelcompression alone. 
This is extremely difficult to do in a large diesel enginelike as in a train.

It is also interesting to know that while diesel locomotives are idling,fuel 
consumption is more than when the train is moving. This is because, while 
idling, the batteries arebeing charged, and the air compression is in operation.

Today's trains have something called ‘Auxillary Power Unit (APU)' inorder to 
reduce the fuel consumption while idling. This is basically a separate system 
for poweringall the electronics, and is also found in aeroplanes. APU can also 
help inreducing the emissions in diesel locomotives.

Thoughts On Why Diesel Trains Are Never Turned Off

Diesel locomotives are slowly disappearing from the Indian Railway scene.The 
amount of fuel-dependencyand the maintenance issues which come along with 
diesel engines are the primaryreason for this. Though electric trains are far 
more efficient thanconventional diesel engines, some still love the nostalgia 
factor which comeswith trains making smoke.

Q2         What are some of the besttrain hacks for India?

A2          Smaran Veerabadran May16, 2020 Student-We travel in trains a lot. 
Most of us carry a backpack/handbagin which all our valuables such as cash, 
wallet, laptop, phones etc are keptand we keep that bag on our berths where we 
sleep unlike keeping it under theseats. Berths are not sowide that they can 
accommodate you and the bag comfortably.

One option is keeping the bag next to your face securely which leavesvery less 
space for you to sleep as we are broader from the shoulder side.Other option is 
to keep bag near the foot area which givesample amount of space for you to 
sleep but the drawback is that it is unsafe asanyone can easily take the bag 
away when you are fast asleep.

I have a fantastic way which I have been using since years and it workslike a 
charm always.

Tie your bag with the corner of the bedsheet which you are going to pullover 
you. Like this,

Now, if a thief tries to pull your bag away, while you are asleep yourentire 
bedsheet will get pulled waking you up on spot. Since, it will be mostly in the 
darkhours the thief won't know that the bag is tied to the bedsheet which you 
areholding. You can sleep without worrying about your bag. Moreover itgives you 
a psychological satisfaction as well, just like the way chaining yourbag under 
the seat gives.

You can then cover the bag under the blanket as well just to double proofand 
blocking its visibility from the prying eyes. 

My note- Best way is to  lock the bag to chain/rod/hooks provided  using chain.

 

Q3         What is the most cleverlife hack you've learned?

A3          John Marty UpdatedFebruary 19, 2018 Amazon Manager of Product Mgmt. 
| YouTuber

This cheap yellow lanyard has subconscious power….

A year ago, I was hired by Amazon, and on that first day of work Inoticed that 
people had different color employee badges andlanyards.

A blue badge and blue lanyard means less than 5 years at the company,yellow 
means 5+ years, red means 10 years, and purple means 15 years (almost noone has 
red or purple).

I quickly found out that badge status was a “thing.” It doesn’t come offas a 
pretentious thing, it’s just a subconscious cue that either means highstatus, 
or “this person probably knows their shit.”

Since I won’t receive a yellow badge/lanyard combo for another four yearsI 
decided to do something.

Enter the yellow lanyard for $6.99 -

All I need to do is tuck my blue badge in my pocket and ensure the 
yellowlanyard is visible around my neck. When people see the yellow lanyard 
theythink I have higher stature. Instant street cred.

 

Q4         How many years did LordRama and Lord Krishna live as human beings?

A4          Shraddha Singh February17-2021 Ramayana (Hindu epic) · Jai shree ram

So according to the Purans —

Ram ruled for 11,000 years . Sohis age was around 11,000 years when he died in 
his human form .

Krishna was Lived for 125 years, 8 months and 7 days.

Now coming to the second question .How did their lives ended as human ? 

Shri ram —

After the death of lakshmana on the banks of sarayu river , ram slowlybegan to 
descend towards the river . The whole ayodhya was watching ram ,slowly 
descending in the water . Slowly ram disappeared in the river , andUnited with 
his beloved lakshmi , sita .

Sri Krishna —

According to the Mahabharata, a fight breaks out at a festival among 
theYadavas, who end up killing each other. Mistaking the sleeping Krishna for 
adeer, a hunter named Jara shoots an arrow that fatally injures him. 
Krishnaforgives Jara and dies.Jai shree ram 

Q5         What made you happytoday?A5    

Tushar Ahir 27-2-2021-Proprietor at Manusmruti Trading (2016–present)

3 months ago I bought a Tata Croma TV. Many of my friends atthat time urged me 
to take Sony, One Plus instead of Tata. ButI wanted to buy an Indian brand, so 
I bought Tata Croma TV.

This TV was shut down at 5o'clock today due to some technical reasons. I filed 
a complaint by calling Croma's customer care number. 10 minuteslater a call 
came from my city's Chroma Center and verified the address. After15 minutes, 
the service man of Tata Chroma came to my house and in 10 minutesupdated the 
software and turned on the TV. It was resolved within an hour offiling the 
complaint. I am happy to know that Indian brandsoffer such a good sales after 
service. In this too, the Tata is truly asymbol of India's pride. 

 

Q6         What is your experiencewith God?

A6          Ritesh Kumar Mishra UpdatedJanuary 21-2020 Philosophy · Keen to 
share philosophic topics

This is a true story.Iwas about to die, because of tuberculosis. I was 
struggling to live andI lost hope 3 years ago. One fine morning on Monday, I 
declined to eat or drinkanything because it was giving me more pain. I spew 
blood after coughing.

It was really miserable condition and everyone believed I would die.Somehow, I 
managed but I lost hope.

I was crying, after seeing mysituation. I said to God, “Now I cannot bear, 
please allow me to die and Islept.”

Around 12 PM, I saw a dream where Ashwini Kumar (son of lord Surya) bothbrother 
standing and telling me, Don’t worry, you will heal soon, we both aregiving you 
treatment.”

I opened my eyes with full of hope because I felt good after that. Inarrated 
this to my parents and they were delighted after knowing myinteraction with 
them in dream.

I don’t know what exactly happened to me, I felt so much energy and hopetowards 
my recovery, I becamemore optimistic and I recovered within 5 months, though I 
took the medicine formore than 8 months but I was completely fine within 5 
months.That was abeautiful experience with God where they assured me I would 
live this life andthey were taking care of me.

This story may seem you fake or bizarre, but this is the reality. I sawthem in 
my dream.

 

Q7         What should every Indianknow about Rajasthan and the people of 
Rajasthan?

A7          Cheshta RojariaUpdatedFebruary 23-2021 Student at Army Public 
School, Pune

Whole Rajasthan is not arid. It has high agricultural area in Jaipurside.

Every Rajasthani is not Marwari. Marwari are those who belongs to Marwarand 
this is a region in Rajasthan.

Every Rajasthani is not rajput. Even if they live in Jaipur, Jodhpur sidenot 
all Rajasthani's are Rajputs.

If you guys think that every house in Rajasthan is haveli, then you arewrong.We 
don't wear this everyday

6. Also we eat other things than Choorma and Ghevar.

7. Not all Rajasthani childrenare married at a small age.

8. Since Jaipur is known aspink city that doesnt mean all houses in Jaipur are 
Pink😂😂

9. But yeah Jodhpur is Blue City becoz majority houses are blue in color( in 
inner city ) and Jaisalmer is Golden City becoz majority of houses you'llfind 
in Golden Colors.

10. Bhangarh isnt that horrifying as people say.

11. Many of you might have heard stories that ghosts live in Forts ofRajasthan 
so nothing like that. 

 

Q8         Why do we get shocks fromelectric current, but not from magnetic 
fields?

A8          Tomaž Vargazon UpdatedFebruary 3-2021 Religion · Practicing atheist

Premise incorrect. You can get a shock from a strong enoughmagnetic field. It 
will induce small amounts of current in your skin andzap you all the same.

You can also get a shock if you drop one on your foot

It’s just that it’s way, way easier to bring enough of electric energytogether 
in an electric field or a current than it is for a magnetic field,plus since 
you probably aren’t made of steel wires, cloth and stuffing (somepeople act the 
part but you probably aren’t) the induction ofcurrent will be minimal.

 

If I put you in a magnetic field of, say, 5000 Tesla and you can expectall 
sorts of fun things to happen. But building a magnetic field of that magnitude 
is a taddifficult.

Our strongest magnets are inthe 50 Tesla range, strongest magnets in regular 
use are about 5 Tesla. Those will already rip any metal implants right outof 
your body. Yes, it is as bloody as it sounds. Make those a thousand 
timesstronger and you can build a horror story on that alone. 

 

Q9         Which flowers are notoffered to Lord Siva?

A9          According to ShivaPurana, Ketaki flowers are not offered to Shiva.

The Story of Ketaki flower :: One day, when Lord Brahma and Shri Vishnuwere 
arguing over Supremacy among themselves, Shiva manifested Himself as acolumn of 
fire, and asked them to find out the start and end of the column.

Shri Vishnu, accepts His defeat in not able to find the end of Shiva.But, Lord 
Brahma tells that he has seen the start of Mahadev , and to prove hisword’s 
Authenticity asks the flower Ketaki to provide witness.

Ketaki flower does the same and thus Shiva becomes angry that Lord Brahmahas 
lied , and cursed that Brahma shall never be worshiped ( Brahma should nothave 
any temples and no one should worship him), and Shiva abandons Ketakiflower 
from His worship.

Since that day, it is believed that Ketaki flower has not been used inShiva's 
worship.

If anyone unknowingly offers Ketaki flowers to Shiva, even it should beok, 
Nothing would happen. Since God is not a sadist like humans to punish ortake 
revenge.

In my perspective even ketaki flowers are His Creation so why would 
Shivadifferentiate between His created living things.

Shri Krishna says in Bhagavadgita, “ I treat everyone equally, I'm notpartial 
towards anyone, neither I have love towards few nor hatred towardsanyone, since 
all are equal to me".

All the above QA are based onQuora digest to me on 01-03 - 2021. Quora answers 
need not be 100% correctanswers 

Compiled and posted by R. Gopala krishnan on 01-3-2021

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/22357753.904649.1614614391105%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to