VATI KOTUTTHU ATI VANGAL

GIVE A STICK AND GET BLOW 

Dear friends, 

I was thinking of the abovephrase we very often use in Malayalam and Tamil. 

The teacher wanted to blow astudent. He was searching for the stick usually a 
CANE of 3 feet length with aquery- Evitae chooral? (Where is cane?) 

If the same student himself getthe stick and ask him to give blow? 

 I had a primary school friend like that whowas broad minded.  In middle school 
onlyon those days class monitor should clean board, teacher’s table, arrange 
chalk,cane etc. 

If the stick was not found, theteacher may become calm in a minute in most 
probability leave the student witha warning. Purposely students used to hide 
cane sticks. 

In general the meaning is whenone is irritated already and to bounce upon a 
person, and another make anirritating statement provocative him, he may bounce 
on the person made thestatement. 

Knowingly or unknowingly we allwould have got blow by giving stick. Many jokes 
also are there out of   suchincidents.  For some people it is a nature to get 
blow likethat.

 Today my posting is about Vatikudutthu ativangal. 

Sincerely,

Gopala Krishnan. 12-10-2013. 

Reposted with addition and editing on 17-5-2021. R. Gopala Krishnan 

1. Vasudevan getting blows. 

It was the time I was studying in5th standard. Vasudevan was over grown, a last 
bencher in the class.He would not study. One day in the morning teacher by name 
Govinda pillai camefor teaching science. He was a least appreciated teacher who 
would blowstudents very hard in palms and legs. 

He wanted to review home work. Hesaid those who have not come without doing 
would get blows. Three persons werethere like that including Vasudevan. 

As if he was asked to come near,Vasudevan went near the teacher first before 
him.  Teacher asked- Entha homework cheyyatthathu. 

Vasudevan stared at him. Again he asked- Chodichhathukeattillae- Entha homework 
cheyyatthathu. Now Vasudevan smiled.  He became angry and started blowing in 
thepalm of Vasudevan. 

1-2-3- Still Vasudevan holdingpalm and no tears or reflexive action. He could 
with stand pain. Now theteacher stopped blowing   him and asked the next ones. 
Each of them gotonly one blow. 

During interval everyone who gotblow went near Vasudevan. He coolly said- Entae 
kaikku nalla kattiya. Vedanikkilla.Kalatthu jnan Govinda pillai sir karthya 
yani amma sarente kootae vazakkukkotunnathu kandu. Aaa deshyama (My palm is 
thick and I can with stand pain. Morning I saw the teacher wasquarrelling   
with his wife. He wasshowing that irritation to me blowing more) 

What a broadminded nature in thatage. Vasudevan did not study in middle school. 
Probably he would have taken tosome other job like black smithy. 

2. Teachers meeting 

For a short period I was a highschool teacher in 1964 at Trikkariyur.At that 
time there was a TEACHER’S MEETING in the school where I was working.For the 
teacher’s meeting, teachers from other schools would come. Except oneclass 
students, others would have holiday. Even this class would have just one 
hourteaching. Discussions would be there based on it. 

8th standard one division was earmarked from my school. There was a 
specialstudent. He would not listen, misbehave and laugh unwantedly.  

My colleague Mr VishnuNampoothiri was taking class. After finishing the 
teaching of the subject heput one SIMPLE QUESTION-For his bad period to this 
boy who was smiling.  

The boy replied- Yesterday you did not taught. 

Nampoothiri clarified- Now I havetaught. 

Then he replied- No, You have nottaught this. 

Nampoothiri asked the boy to sitand put the question to another student. The 
session completed with morequestions and all other students well answered. 

Next day, Nampoothri told mereferring to the incident why he put the question 
to that boy- he said, He was WAKING UP AS IF TO ANSWER.  I thought he would at 
least answer one simplequestion. I never felt he would talk so in the 
session... Vati kotutthu ati vangi… 

Before I was giving myresignation, Nampoothiri desired one day I must go to his 
illam and take food withhim. So I went with him in an after- noon. Nampoothiri 
family was orthodox. Heinvited me to come to hall. All food were brought and 
kept already with leaf. Heput the leaf for both of us and he started serving 
more to both of us. He said itwas custom, and I should excuse his family not 
serving. It was a new experienceand information to me at the age of 20. After 
meals he said, we are leaving. His wife came almost covered exceptface with a 
smile. He introduced, my wife. Children had gone to school. 

3. My colleague Mr Swaminathan… 

I was working at Kodaikkanal. Anew engineer came there for laying transmission 
cables. He was an engineer promotedfrom operator’s cadre by a competitive test. 
(In fact from one post to other we are all promoted only). 

For cable laying trench work wasin progress. His officer scheduled to come on a 
day for inspection. The officercome late with some problemof vehicle while 
coming up the hills. Since he came late all WORKERSHAD LEFT. It was winter 
time. 

My friend who was in the office, wentto the area where trench was taken telling 
he would come to the trenching areaas said early. We advised him to remain, and 
go with the officer the nextday.  He did not hear. 

The officer came, not seeing himin office got annoyed, started moving in the 
direction of trench. He came nearthe engineer. He asked to measure the depth at 
three or four locations. To his misfortune depth was aboutsix inches less in a 
very rocky area. Whatever he said, the officerwas not convincing.  

After coming back, he desired tovisit Kurinji andavar temple. We all joined the 
officer along with him knowingthe irritation. Our colleague asked- Sir, whether 
any archana has to be performed.  Tell your star. 

The irritating officer replied- Yes. But not for me, but foryou, for your 
better capability… We got stunned. The telephone Inspectorby my side could not 
control- He said- Ean sir, vati kudutthu ati vangareenga.Peasamaliringa (Kindly 
keep quiet. Why do you get blows giving stick)? Aftertemple worship he was 
somewhat cooled. 

4. Chundal… 

One day during Navarathri Kolu mywife prepared pattani chundal. After siesta 
while taking coffee in the eveningI asked what was there salty to take with. 
She said, for Kolu chundal has prepared and Neivedyam isover and I can have it. 
She took in a bowl hot pattani chundal twothavas.  I said tasting very fine.  
She brought one more thava since Iappreciated. 

In fact I wanted one more thava,for the hot and tasty chundal. (Medium thava 
only) 

One minute I recollected- ladies wouldbe coming some times more in number. Many 
times elder iyers also followthem.  It is for them. I finished coffeecompleting 
the last pattani…. 

I knew well if I asked one morethava, she would reply in negative, based on my 
diabetics as reasoning.  I escaped by a timely thinking. I said, sufficient, 
last onespoon was not needed. PACCHHA KALLAM….. (Untrue statement) 

My note- Most of the days, next day our lady servant would geta plateful of 
chundal – A lucky woman. 

In March 2020 I saw many unwantedirritating responses. After some thinking I 
marked their mails to SPAM. It wasa mental relief.  Now too some 
responsesalways come from certain members. Marking them to spam, they would not 
appearto me. I am aged 77. I think I have maturity to my age. So I do not 
respond toirritating mails and get disturbed by reading them. 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/1626267894.828158.1621236504491%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to