LAND PHONE, TV, REFREGERATOR AND

 SPLIT AIR CONDITIONER

Dear friends,

Today’s advertisements of   split Air-conditioners showed two new entrants,BPL 
and Kelvinator.I am seeing their advertisement first time today for air 
conditioners. Thesetwo companies were famous earlier in other fields.  I 
thought of scribbling some information afterwatching their advertisements. 

Sincerely,

Gopalakrishnan 22-2-2022.

1Refrigerator andKelvinator

At one time quality refrigerator meant the one made byKelvinator. The company 
was at Faridabad. We could get single door medium size refrigeratorfor about 
8000-00 rupees in 1989’s.  Wehad to purchase stabilizer separately. The 
delivery man opened and installed itwhere required. 15 Amps socket with switch 
control was installed by us. Thoughadditionally charged, a wooden stand was 
also purchased suited to the colour ofrefrigerator. Working was demonstrated 
and ice prepared and showed to us. Wewere asked to defragment at least once a 
week. Ice used to form around the condensingcoils. On seeing more ice, all 
items kept in the fridge were taken out andsupply was switched off. Within 2 
hours all ice melted, and water could be seenflowing through the shelves to the 
bottom. Water was wiped OFF, kept to dry andthings were kept in. None felt 
defragging as a botheration. There was a coolingframe work behind the unit to 
absorb heat during refrigeration. 

Initially small size was introduced and I could see them inmedical shops. On 
those days we could bank loan for purchasing refrigerator. Ipurchased one 
obtaining loan from Indian Overseas Bank. 

Later many companies appeared by 2004’s with cooling coilinside, double door 
and in different sizes, medium, large, very large etc.Whirlpool introduced two 
doors with a bottom drawer to keep vegetables atslightly higher temperature. I 
have one of these types. However this model didnot become success.  
InterestinglyKelvinator withdrew from the field or their products were not 
available inshowrooms in 2004. I do not know the reason. Now Kelvinator has 
come up with split air-conditioners. Google searchgave the result that the 
company was taken over by reliance in October 2019. 

I have purchased one year back an additional refrigeratorfrom FLAIR, once in 
three days we have to press a switch for defragging. It isnot automatic 
defragging. 

BPL 

When Telecom department was at its peak, in addition to ITI,BPL made Beetel 
phones was also procured. Later it was available in shops also.Still I am 
having BPLphone at home. My Landline is paralleled to four rooms, one of them 
ishaving green colour Beetel phone. 

The colour TV I purchased was BPL with 8 channel provision.Later TV technician 
converted to connect 32 channels. At that time of purchasein 1991 only two 
channels were there –Doordarshan 1 and 2. Transmission wasterrestrial, we 
received signals installing Yagi antenna. On switching ON at one corner in the 
picture tubeblue colour appeared, TV technician told me, such picture tubes are 
rare, theywill last long.  With cable TVfrom airtel it worked 13 years at 
Trivandrum, plus another 15 years at Chennai.First in Chennai we had cable TV 
and later dish antenna connections. It wasgiven to my relative, when their TV 
failed for immediate use. 

BPL gradually changed field to mobile telephone during 2000’s.At that time BSNL 
mobile was not available. I was having BPL company mobile connection.At that 
time, incoming calls were charged in mobile, for local call, 7-00rupees were 
charged for 3 minutes. I purchased the connection for ISD facilitywith prepaid 
phones.  In 2004 the companywas closed.  Now revived and come back. Iread from 
Google search they had washing machines also. 

 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/1942127442.891891.1645585324848%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to