Carnatic music flows in Shenbagavalli's veins

On receiving the national award, she requested the state and the central
governments to offer online bachelor’s degrees in music at all Indian
universities for non-resident students.

CHENNAI: It was November 17 when an unexpected call broke the daily musical
routine of V Shenbagavalli, a visually impaired Carnatic music tutor. She
was expecting calls from her students inquiring about music class later in
the day; instead, Shenbagavalli gets a call from the Union government
informing she has been nominated for the National Award for Empowerment of
Persons with Disabilities under the self-employment category. She received
the award from President Draupadi Murmu on December 3 in Delhi.

Looking back, Shenbagavalli recalls her grandmom, Gomathi
Sankaranarayanan–a stately vainika who introduced her to the enchanting
nuances of the instrument. “As I got accustomed to her musical trails and
traits, I conscientiously decided to focus more on Carnatic music. This was
also the time when I met the oldest member of our family – a century-old
veena, which was passed down from my great-grandmother to my grandmother
and finally me. I’m still using it,” she says with a warm smile.

The vainika, who now runs a music school SV music school at her home in
Chromepet in Chennai, teaches the Veena, keyboard and vocals to nearly 100
students, including students with disabilities. She also offers online
classes to students from the US, Dubai, Qatar, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

Expressing happiness over receiving an award for the first time in her
life, 47-year-old Shenbagavalli remarks how the veena has been synonymous
with her life. “This award speaks volumes for me and people like me. I was
just 10 years old and living in my hometown of Sankarankovil when I was
affected by a rare eye disease called retinitis pigmentosa. After I
completely lost my eyesight, I stopped going to school. Nevertheless, I
managed to pass the ESLC and SSLC exams privately and scored 60% in both,
all thanks to my supportive father who was also the school headmaster.

In 1995, Shenbagavalli moved to Chennai to learn the Braille system,
something that was still foreign to her hometown back in the day. She also
got married and got a bachelor’s degree in music by 2005, which gave her
all the more reasons to pursue her passion. Her most momentous decision was
founding her music school in 2012, which she modestly says was inspired by
her guru’s advice.

Shenbagavalli has even performed in a few events, including a relative’s
wedding function. “Due to my limited vision, it is never easy for me to
carry around the veena all by myself and reach a location without someone’s
company,” she adds. In 2017, Shenbagavalli played the veena in the
traditional Thiruvaiyaru Thyagaraja Aradhana, which she quotes as “one of
her most cherished lifetime achievements' '.

On receiving the national award, she requested the state and the central
governments to offer online bachelor’s degrees in music at all Indian
universities for non-resident students. She also advised those with
disabilities to “be confident, not depend on others for survival and chase
their passion.”
Shebagavalli says getting her school registered is the next big thing on
her mind.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 KR IRS 31 12 22//1 1 23

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/CAL5XZopXbGcYBRf6Fi3_h8BEtviBz%3DQFRvFhhy_%3DGV4XvAN4Rg%40mail.gmail.com.

Reply via email to