---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: 'N Sekar' via iyer123 <iyer...@googlegroups.com>
Date: Mon, Dec 25, 2023, 2:00 PM
Subject: [iyer123] Re: Sumangalis - Another view
To: <keralaiy...@googlegroups.com>, Iyer <iyer...@googlegroups.com>,
Rangarajan T.N.C. <tncrangara...@yahoo.com>, Chittanandam V. R. <
chittananda...@gmail.com>, Mathangi K. Kumar <mathangikku...@gmail.com>

Thanks Sri G K.

Regarding dying as Sumangalis:

I know most of the women pray for this - to die as Sumangalis,  meaning
they should go before their husbands leave this world.

 I have heard this from my childhood both from my own family members and
others, my mother included,  and thought one of the reasons, repeat ONE OF
THE REASONS and not the only reason, why this is so is because of our
customs - like

It is not a good omen to see her esp. when one begins an auspicious event,

They are excluded from Uunjal ceremony and the like in a marriage.

Not allowed to be at the forefront  for any                " Mangala
Nikazhchi" - auspicious occasions etc.

(But none of these applies to the widower.)

We, both myself and my wife, met a fairly elderly couple during our Char
Dham Yatra in 2017 wherein the lady said,  during the course of our
conversation while at Gangotri,  that she prayed to Maa Ganga that she
should survive her husband and should leave immediately after all his final
rites were performed, including the 13 day ceremonies, 13th day being the
Subha Svekaram.

When I asked her the reason she said that while the ladies need (at that
age) only financial security if possible,  to lead an independent life, the
men would feel like fish out of water without their better halves. Their
self respect would not allow them to ask,  or beg as she put it, for
everything from morning coffee to dinner etc. and be dependent on someone
else in the family.

 If they need financial assistance also then God save them, she said and
added:

Nor can they manage their chores without getting bored or tired or even fed
up,  resulting in their losing their temper (patience)  which will further
aggravate their situation.

They will not get the same care, attention and affection, even if given
grudgingly, from anyone else, even if the couple had lead not a very
harmonious life,  when both were alive.

There won't be too many people around  to listen to and tolerate some of
their nonsense      ( as she put it), like the wives, even if they don't
agree or concur.

She said menfolk do not realize that the wives put up with all their
tantrums not because they are dependent on their husbands as they would
like to feel,  BUT as an act of service and sacrifice for the well being of
the family.

She went on and on ( some answering our questions)  but I have given the
gist of our conversation above.

Her husband was as mesmerised as I was, judging by the looks on his face.
May be, just may be, she took us as Interlocutors to convey a message to
her husband.

Before we could go any further they had to leave as their tour operator
called them back.

I have seen myself how miserable men feel without their wives in their old
age. An aged widow, under normal circumstances, is able to survive better
than an aged widower- but financial security is an important factor here.

I wanted to mention it here since you brought up the subject, as the lady
told us to share her view as she felt our women need to think of the lives
of their husbands, after their death.

N Sekar

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
<https://mail.onelink.me/107872968?pid=nativeplacement&c=Global_Acquisition_YMktg_315_Internal_EmailSignature&af_sub1=Acquisition&af_sub2=Global_YMktg&af_sub3=&af_sub4=100000604&af_sub5=EmailSignature__Static_>

On Mon, Dec 25, 2023 at 12:36 PM, 'gopala krishnan' via KeralaIyers