CULTURALQA 02-2024-29

All the below   QA arefrom Quora DIGEST to me  on   29-02-2024. 

Selected quora answers generally interesting including jokes are included.Still 
they   need not be 100%correct answers. I am only a compiler. 

Compiled and posted by R. Gopala Krishnan, 80,    on 29-02-2024.

Q1      Whatis the funniest joke you've been told that you still think about to 
this day?

A1      SteveGilbert,Oct 25

A guy is in a job interview, the interviewer says tohim “You’re asking for an 
awful lot of money for having so little experience”.

He answers “Of course I am. Think about how muchharder I’ll have to work not 
knowing how to do the job”.

Q2      Whatare some of the best real life examples of presence of mind 
witnessed by you?

A2      Priya C,Livesin Bengaluru, Karnataka, IndiaFeb 19

Yesterday, we had been to a kitchenware store toexchange my old pressure cooker 
for a new one.

Once at the store, I remembered that I needed to buyan iron bowl to mix my 
henna for hair that was long pending.

I asked him to display some.

He showed me a couple of them in different sizes withcorresponding price range.

There was one that was mid size with quite a widthand just about deep enough to 
do the mixing.

They all had handles like in a kadai, but I was finewith it as they would help 
me hold.

But the insides as they appear in the pic, werecoated black unlike the other 
two that appeared silvery white.

I didn't know if the shopkeeper was telling the truthabout the container being 
made of pure iron although they felt quite heavy.

I have had a bad experience of being conned by onesuch store keeper where he 
sold me an aluminium griddle in place of iron.

Hence I wasn't sure if I should go ahead with thepurchase.

It was precisely at this moment that the shopkeeperdid something very astute, 
sensing my uncertainty.

He quicklypulled out a “magnet” from a shelf and put it below the container.

The magnet neatly stuck to the bottom and stayedwhere it was.

It was quite unexpected I must say!

But as a buyer I had to more sure. The inside of thecontainer was what mattered 
and not the outer layer.

I asked him to put it even in the inside.He did andthe effect was the same.

I was satisfied and made the purchase, my mindappreciating and complimenting 
the seller for his quick presence of mind!

I feel every shopkeeperwho sells iron wares should have a magnet handy to prove 
the credibility of the items to theircustomers.

Q3      Whatare some of the greatest examples of presence of mind?

A3  Shrey Parth,Updated 5y

Killing two birds with one stone!

Back in 10th standard , a new Geography teacher wasassigned to our class.

Now, this teacher was as interesting as the subjectitself. (sarcasm intended). 
All he used to do was to copy the text from bookand write it on the blackboard.

Needless to say, half of the class slept (literally)during his lecture.

Coming to the story.

I was sitting on the first bench that day, he startedteaching and I was fast 
asleep within 10 minutes. He was least bothered by itand continued with 
whatever he was doing.

Now as fate would have it, the principal was on around. And, yes he walked into 
our classroom.

Imagine the scenario here! The principal walkedinside, everyone stood up except 
one boy who was sleeping on the first bench.

That’s not it even! He tapped me 3–4 times on myshoulder before I woke up.

As I opened my eyes and looked around, everyone waslooking at me, the teacher, 
every student and the principal and at that instantI knew I was fucked.

Principal : “What’s going on? Why were you sleeping?”

Me: “umm.. uh..!” (I was trying to speak, but wordswere not coming out.)

But at that moment, the teacher spoke.

He said : “He was not feeling well, so I told him tosleep!”

Me(confused) : “Yes, sir!”

Principal : “Better go to the infirmary and take restthere. Class is not the 
place to sleep”

Me: “Yes, Sir! Sorry Sir!”

After the class, I went up to my teacher to thank himfor saving me.

But what he said was “I didn’t do it to save you boy, I hadto save my 
reputation as a teacher!”

I was like, “Thank God for his presence of mind!

Q4      Whatare your favourite blonde jokes?

A4      GeorgeKingsley,11h

A blonde is speeding down the highway and a blonde cop pulls herover.

 “License andregistration ma’am”

 “I’ve got theregistration right here. Remind me what my license looks like?”

 “You keep itin your purse and it looks like you,” responds the cop.

The blonde driver roots around in her purse and pullsout a makeup compact. She 
opens it and hands it to the blonde cop.

The cop looks at the mirror, closes the compact, andhands it back to the driver.

 “Why didn’t you tell me you were in law enforcement? Have a nice day!

Q5      Whatare some of the mind blowing facts that you have ever come across?

A5      TinyNair, Cardiologist at PRS Hospital, Trivandrum1y

Richard Peto, a British statistician came up with atheory, widely known as the 
‘Peto’sparadox’, wherein he proposed that despite its larger size, more 
cellmass, and consequently, more cell divisions, (logically leading to a 
conclusionof more mutations) largeranimals like whales and elephants DO NOT 
HAVE more cancer, compared to humans.

The first signof trouble was a swelling in her breast, which turned out to be 
cancer. The family wasdevastated but stood together and slowly pulled through 
the tough challenge ofcancer treatment, complimentedby loss of hair, bouts of 
nausea and destruction of self-esteem. 

By the time the light at the end of the tunnel seemedbrighter, trouble came as 
a painfulswelling in her right leg. 

A biopsy showed that it was sarcoma, an unusualtumour involving bones and 
muscles. More scars and more medications followed. An year later, detection of 
anabnormal blood count during a routine lab-work showed features of leukemia.

It was then that her doctors asked for a detailedgenetic analysis. Itshowed 
that the girl had a mutation of her p 53 gene in chromosome 17; thetumour 
suppressor gene. She was suffering from a rare disease called ‘LiFraumeni 
Syndrome’.

LiFraumeni syndrome occurs because of loss of function of p 53 ‘tumour 
suppressorgene’.

Despite all the carefully set algorithm, celldivision can go wrong; and if it 
goes unchecked, there is always a chance ofmutation and cancer. P53 gene tries 
its best to repair the damaged DNA, and if it fails, it destroysthe cell, 
preventing it from multiplying. Essentially it is the ‘police against cancer’ 
in our body.

While humans have just one copy of p 53, elephants have 10pairs. That’s 
whyelephants don’t get cancer. Richard Peto was right.

Why didn’t Godgive us a dozen more copies of the ‘police gene’. 

May be because he thought that his best creationswould know how to take care to 
prevent cancer. 

But instead, we atom-bombed Hiroshima, created abillion dollar cigarette 
industry (lung cancers), drowned ourselves in alcohol(hepatic cancers) and 
pollute the atmosphere and destroy the ozone hole (skincancers, melanoma). It 
is estimated that up to 60% cancers are preventable.

And yes, God gave us a mindset with a built-inblind-spot which make us believe 
that ‘But it will never happen to me’.

For God, it is like watching Tom & jerry from topand laughing his heart out.

 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/1004518810.1440763.1709199058828%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to