CULTURAL QA 03-2024-23A

Allthe below   QA are from QUORA DIGEST tome on   23-03-2024. 

SelectedQuora answers by scholars generally interesting are included. Still 
they need not be 100%correct answers..

 Compiled and posted by R Gopalakrishnan, 80, on 23-3-2024 

Q1      What are some of the greatest examples ofpresence of mind?

A1      TuhinSen, Former Co-founder & COO at The Optimist Citizen (2014–2022)7y

The narrative is a bit long, but I assure you thatyou'll come out of it 
smiling. So please bear with me.

The incident took place in 2016, during my 4thsemester. The literary society of 
my college had organized a debate on thetopic “Is English the onlylanguage to 
succeed in this era of globalization”.

 The event wasorganized at a fairly large scale with around 25 participants and 
an audienceof 200. The catch came in when the mandate from the principal 
required thatatleast one student from every Department must participate. The 
Department ofEconomics being a new and a small one , didn't have any 
representative. Sadly,I was asked to volunteer (I would say coerced) to give my 
name, literally,minutes before the competition. I was to present arguments in 
support for the given question.

Now, most would assume that presenting arguments insupport for English as a 
universal language is Easy. But, in a liberal artssetup, everyone has a liberal 
perspective for everything. 7 participants before me spokeagainst the topic and 
emphasized how talent, regardless of yourpreffered language, is required to 
succeed. I was the First one to speak forthe topic. I had conjured up a few 
points, but my mind was still clueless. But,when I went on the podium, 200 eyes 
peering deep into my conscience, ready tobe judgemental, a thought dawned on 
me. Every candidate who spoke against thetopic before me, had spoken in English.

Being a Bengali myself, I don't know whatmetaphysical boost I received and when 
the timer rang, I started speaking in Bengali.

I greeted the judges, the audience and theparticipant, gave my (mundane) 
arguments in Bengali. Everyone just stared atme, clueless.

When the bellfor the last 30 seconds rang, I calmly changed my demeanour and 
spoke inEnglish, that ifI couldn't even pitch a logical point to the debate in 
my native language andmost probably, can't even win the competition with 
Bengali, how can any of youexpect me to succeed in the globalised world without 
English.

The crowd went berserk (Not really though). They gaveme a standing ovation, 
just for the sheer audacity of the point I made.

Although, I got the 2nd prize (for not presentingmany relevant arguments), 
Iknew my professors and the audience loved me for the presence of mind 
Iportrayed there.

Q2      What are some of the greatest examples ofpresence of mind?

A2      SanjayRathour,Studied at University of Delhi (Graduated 2017)Updated 5y

In this picture you can see Mr. Shivraj Singh Chouhan giving a reward of 
₹50,000 to the constable Mr. Abhishek Patel for his bravery and presence ofmind.

 Actually thewhole incident was that, one day Head Constable Abhishek Patel was 
on policecontrol van duty when he got an anonymous call about abomb being found 
in the backyard of a school in Chitora. He immediatelyrushed to the spot. Not 
knowing how to disarm it, he just picked up the bomband ran with it as fast as 
he could. He disposed it at a deserted place far away from the village.

He just took a 10 kg- bomb on his shoulder and sprinted fornearly 1 kilometre 
in a bid to save the students of a school in Chitora village. Thanks to his 
presence ofmind and fearless attitude he saved around 400 children. Therefore 
he deservesrespect. Actually nowadays, many police officers are venal and take 
bribe.However, due to constables like Mr. Abhishek Patel many people still have 
faithin our police force.

Edit : According to many reports the bomb was later defusedby army personnel of 
Mahar Regiment Centre at Sagar.

Q3      What problems do people with high iqs havecommonly?

A3      CeeButler, Therapist, School Counselor, Mom, Survivor! Updated Feb 19

I have not had my 9 year old tested yet. However he started rightingcomputer 
code (JavaScript to be exact) at 4. He started doing calculus at 7. Hestarted 
speaking Spanish very early along with English. When he was 8 hestarted 
teaching himself Chinese. 

This Christmas he got a small engine to assemble as agift. He had the engine 
running in less than 12 hours. When he started reading he was so tiny I did 
notbelieve he was reading. I thought I was loosing my mind. My friend, whowas a 
teacher came over to confirm he was reading. He was 2! 

I literally looked around my home waiting for AshtonKutcher to jump out. Am I 
being punked because this isn’t funny.

Many of the issues a previous writer stated isaccurate of my son. He isoften 
bored, has difficulty fitting in with same aged peers, he overthinksthings and 
can struggle to just unwind and have fun like a child. 

He is confused by other children who do not want tostudy supermassive black 
holes, micro organisms, physics and advancedmathematics. Honey, they just want 
to play, they dont know what you are talkingabout. He looks at me so innocent 
and confused.

Theseissues may sound trivial but it isn’t. He wants friends so badly. He 
reallywants to fit in.

I have been asked by several academics to get himtested for MENSA. Ihaven’t. I 
am afraid what that IQ number will mean. He can be very focused anddetermined. 
His goals cause him to have great anxiety. 

When he is learning something or trying to solve a newcalculus problem, he 
won’t eat, he is just focused. The largest problem we haveis expecting people 
to see past the color of his skin and speech impediment. Wejust want people to 
give him a chance. As his parent, it is difficult to findthings that interest 
him and keep him challenged. He sits in school bored topieces. As his mom, I 
wanthim to grow to his full potential. But, honestly, I have no idea what his 
fullpotential is.

Point of Reference: Me and my husband both have above average IQ’s. Ihave 2 
masters degrees, my husband a Ph.D. We are both a point or two fromsuperior. 
With the confidence interval we can be superior on any given day. Neither one 
of us is gifted inMath. Both my husband and I have siblings that have genius 
IQ’s. Neitherof them spend enough time with my son to impact him. We have no 
explanation ofhis abilities other than it’s a gift.
Peace, CBT

Q4      What are some things that happen only inIndia?

A4      VijayaLakshmi, Retired Finance manager at Coal India Limited (A 
Maharatna Company)5y

Ram’s familydecides to have a flying visit to Syam’s house while returning from 
the market.

Ram: “Hi, we just want to say new year greetings. Wehave come to the market. 
Since your house is on the way we decided to just say“Happy new year” and fly 
off immediately”.

Shyam: “Happynew year. You have come to our house after so many days. Please do 
have some coffee andgo. You must be tired after so much shopping”

Ram: “OK, onlycoffee! After that you should leave us”.

Chit chat goes on between Ram and Shyam; Sita andGita; Ram and Gita; Shyam and 
Sita…. all permutations and combinations forforty minutes while having coffee.

Ram: “It isalready late we have to move now. Come on kids wear your shoes we 
are going”

Kids: “ Pappapleeeeaase, let us play for some more time”

Geeta: “See, kids are enjoying please sit for somemore time”.

Chit chat goes on for another half an hour.

Ram after getting up: “now we will move…Come on kidswear your shoes..”

Sita after getting up: “Arey Gita I forgot to askyou.. I heard that Ramesh had 
divorced his wife is it true?”

Gita: “Yes I heard the same thing but Suresh says itis all a rumor…”

The discussion about the divorce goes on for anothertwenty minutes while all of 
them are standing in front of their chairs.

Sita:“Ah, I forgot about the time with this useless discussion. I have so much 
workat home now we should leave”.

Ram: “Come on kids wear your shoes…”

All four walk up to the door. Just before steppingout of the door..

Ram: “Shyam, do you know that there is going to be apay revision within few 
months?”

Shyam: “Few months? Impossible ! It will take atleast one year”

The discussion about pay revision is made for half anhour, half the people 
standing outside and half inside.

Ram and Sita: “OK bye, now we will leave…Kids wearyour shoes..”

Shyam and Gita:“Bye we will not make you late any more..”

Both the families walk up to main gate.

At the main gate…

Gita: “Damn! I forgot to ask you about the recipe ofthe curry you made last 
time when we visited your house. Shyam loved it”

Sita: “Is it ?! It is simple….” It takes anothertwenty minutes after 
clarification of all the doubts regarding the recipe….

This is whathappens in India… Elapsed time between first goodbye and final 
goodbye beingone to one and half hours!

Q5      What is the best math joke you have everheard?

A5      AkshayMittal,10y

One professor of mathematics noticed that his kitchensink at his home broke 
down. He called a plumber. The plumber came on the nextday, sealed a few screws 
and everything was working as before.

The professor was delighted. However, when the plumber gave him the bill a 
minutelater, he was shocked.

"Thisis one third of my monthly salary!" he yelled.

Well, all the same he paid it and then the plumbersaid to him:

"I understand your position as a professor. Why don't you come to ourcompany 
and apply for a plumber position? You will earn three times asmuch as a 
professor. But remember, when you apply, tell them that you completed only 
seven elementaryclasses. They don't like educated people."

So it happened. The professor got a plumber job andhis life significantly 
improved. He just had to seal a screw or two occasionally, and his salary went 
upsignificantly.

One day, the board of the plumbing company decidedthat every plumber has to go 
toevening classes to complete the eight grade. So, our professor had to gothere 
too. It just happened that the first class was math. The evening teacher,to 
check students' knowledge, asked for a formula for the area of the circle.The 
person asked was the professor. He jumped to the board, and then he realized 
that he had forgotten theformula. He started to reason it, he filled the white 
board withintegrals, differentials and other advanced formulas to conclude the 
result heforgot. As a result he got "minus pi r squared".

He didn't like the minus, so he started all overagain. He got the minus again. 
No matter how many times he tried, he always gota minus. He was frustrated. He 
looked a bit scared at the class and saw all theplumbers whisper:"Switchthe 
limits of the integral!"

My note- I enjoyed this  joke very much. 

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Thatha_Patty" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/thatha_patty/1240697410.428778.1711201243223%40mail.yahoo.com.

Reply via email to