I     We live in a cosmic void so empty that it breaks the laws of cosmology

Mounting evidence suggests our galaxy sits at the centre of an expanse of
nothingness 2 billion light years wide. If so, we may have to rethink our
understanding of the universe

By Miriam Frankel <https://www.newscientist.com/author/miriam-frankel/>

Ever feel like you are stuck in a hole? Newsflash: you are. Astronomers
call it the “local hole”, but that is quite the understatement*. It is
vast, gigantic, enormously huge – although, in truth, adjectives fail us
when it comes to this expanse of nothingness*. It is the largest cosmic
void we know of, spanning 2 billion light years. Our galaxy happens to be
near its centre, but the trouble with this hole isn’t that it presents a
proximate danger – more that it shouldn’t exist at all.

That is, if one of our most firmly held beliefs about the cosmos
<https://www.newscientist.com/article-topic/cosmology/> is true. That
assumption, known as the cosmological principle, says that the universe’s
matter should be evenly distributed on the largest scales. It is the
cornerstone on which much of modern cosmology is built. If the void is
real, then that stone might be crumbling.

For this reason, few dared to believe the void could be genuine. But
evidence has mounted in recent years, and astronomers have moved from doubt
to begrudging acceptance. They have also discovered other similarly vast
structures. So now the question is being asked with increasing urgency: if
we really are living in a void, do we need to drastically modify our models
of the cosmos? That might involve rethinking gravity
<https://www.newscientist.com/article-topic/gravity/>, the nature of dark
matter, or both.

II      AUSTIN, Texas (KAMR/KCIT) — The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
is recommending appropriate safety measures to protect backyard flocks
following several confirmed positive cases of Trichomoniasis among doves
across the state.

The TPWD reported that the National Wildlife Health Center confirmed
several doves across the state had tested positive for the infectious
disease affecting birds.

Trichomoniasis is a disease caused by a single-celled parasite (Trichomonas
gallinae) that affects mostly pigeons and doves, according to the TPWD. The
infection could spread to finches and birds of prey that feed on the
remains of infected doves*.*

Infected birds may appear weak and have a “fluffed up appearance.” Birds
may also have difficulty swallowing or breathing as the inflammation
creates plaques that affect the airways and esophagus. Food and water
sources, such as backyard bird feeders and birdbaths, can become
contaminated from the mouths of infected birds said officials.

The TPWD said it recommends “practicing appropriate biosecurity protocols,”
in an effort to reduce contact with backyard flocks. Landowners who see
sick or dead doves or pigeons on their property should discontinue the use
of bird feeders or bird baths until affected birds are gone from the area.

Bird feeders and baths should be cleaned frequently using a weak solution
of household bleach, rinsed well, and dried before re-use. It is
recommended to periodically clean and disinfect bird feeders and baths,
even if sick or dead birds have not been seen on the property, as this can
help prevent future disease outbreaks, said TPWD.

K RAJARAM IRS 16424   NB   Now science feels the big bang is not the
beginning but something else should have happened.