+++ Duncan Price [2011-10-19 10:48 +0000]:
> My way of working is to record the cumulative distance, depth and forward
> bearing at every station either by using a tagged line or tape measure laid
> alongside the line.  These data are then entered into a spreadsheet and used
> claculate the distance between stations.

But the whole point of the fairly flexible survex 'enter it like it is
in the book' format/philosophy is to save you that sort of faff and
avoid the conseqent errors.

Survex already has 'topofil-style' support with fromcount/tocount so you
should just be able to enter the length readings as recorded with
something like

interleaved:

*data diving station depth newline compass count

or for non-interleaved:

* data diving from fromdepth fromcount to todepth tocount compass

Have you tried that and found problems (in either survex or therion)?

Wookey
http://wookware.org/