After some more checks, I have verified that Therion is correctly calculating the average between fore/back bearings. MY MISTAKE. The issue is closed.

Best regards and thanksfor the patience.

Evaristo.

El 17/05/2018 a las 15:02, Wookey via Therion escribió:
On 2018-05-17 09:25 +0200, Evaristo Quiroga via Therion wrote:
El 17/05/2018 a las 0:36, Olly Betts escribió:
         I think the formula is too complicated. I purpose a simpler formula,
like:
                     If bearing <=180
                               AverageBearing =  (bearing + (backbearing
-180))/2
                         else
                               AverageBearing = (bearing + (backbearing +180))/2

     Your proposed formula gives wrong answers in some cases - consider:

     bearing = 80, backbearing = 0

     These give AverageBearing = (80 + 0 - 180) / 2 = -50 (equivalent to
     310), but this should be 130 (average of 80 and 180).

In this case is not a problem with my formula, is a serious magnetic anomaly
(100 degrees difference)  and the program should to stop and to send a warning.
Yes a warning should probably be issued about poor data, but it _is_ a
problem with your formula. It's just an example showing that all cases
have to be dealt with correctly, including the wrap-around at 0/360
(or 0/400 for grads) and your simplified formula doesn't.

An example with a much smaller difference between back and foresight
could still be constructed to show the issue:

Fore: 175, Back: 0 AverageBearing= (175+0-180)/2 = -2.5. That's
wrong. It should be 177.5 in this case.

Wookey