I find this behavior annoying too!  It is not logical to support "-" for
missing backcompass but not for missing backclino.

Martin's method is one way.  I find it a bit cumbersome because you have to
add TWO data lines to the file.  The first line removes backclino, the next
line is the data, and the next line restores backclino.

My preference is to add one line, which is a comment that says the next line
has a fake backclino entry.  Then I simply make up the backclino entry as 180
degrees from the forward compass.

I have worked some surveys with shots that have the opposite problem ...  The
backclino exists but the forwardclino is missing.  Same solution - I make a
comment and then dummy up the reading.

This method also makes it easier for someone else to read through the data
since every line has exactly the same number of items and in the same order.

--
Bill Gee