Hello everyone -

I have been working with the developer of a cave viewing program called "Cave
Breakout".  The web site is https://breakoutcavesurvey.com/  This is a Java
application which, among other things, can import Compass PLT files for viewing
and searching.  It works well on Linux as long as the display driver supports
OpenGL3.

I am not a Compass user, so I generate PLT files from Therion using an "export"
command, something like this:

        export model -fmt compass -enable all -wall-source all -o MosbyCave.plt

After a few go-arounds, Cave Breakout will now successfully read and display
simple PLT files from Therion.  However, it appears there are some deeper
issues relating to how Therion generates a PLT file.

1) The PLT file that Therion generates, even a simple one like Mosby Cave (only
13 stations and 163 feet) will not open in Compass Viewer.  The error message
is "Invalid numeric input".

2) Complex PLT files from Therion will open in Cave Breakout, but the display
is all messed up.  The specific file that shows this contains four caves and
has some duplicate station names among the caves.  The PLT file from any one of
the caves will display correctly, but the combined file is a big mess.

One of the issues that Cave Breakout has to deal with is very large numbers.
The developer told me that the Therion file had easting numbers in the
millions.  I don't know if that is normal or not - but apparently Compass does
not do that.  He did not mention the northing numbers, but I suspect they are
also very large.

Has anyone here done much work with Compass PLT files?  Am I missing something
in the export command?

--
Bill Gee