Hi Benedikt,

>       txt := "123";
>       txt := ATTR__text;   % does not work. How do i get the value from

You are so nearly right.
Two underscores for Therion's built in properties. One underscore for
-attr properties.
ATTR_text

I have an example here:
https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/metapost#rope_lengths

Regarding your main question, no I don't know how to create custom label
ornamentation (it looks like black magic to me). But you can see what I
have learned here:
https://therion.speleo.sk/wiki/metapost#adding_custom_styled_labels_at_any_point_linepoint

And then you need to look through the Metapost debugging output for:
vardef p_label@#(expr txt,pos,rot,mode) =

That is the code that actually draws labels with ornamentation. It then
calls functions like this: process_circledlabel

That in turn - after writing a label - uses some kind of bounding box
measuring to decide how to ornament it. Check out the function:
def write_circ_bbox expr q =

Good luck sir. If you work it out, please document it so we can all
learn how it all works. :)

Cheers,

Tarquin