I have just now solved this problem.  The error status must have been some
combination of setting \framethickness to 0mm and the order in which I was
calling layouts, although I cannot pin down why this would be the case.
Anyway, setting \framethickness to 0mm does now remove a frame that was
previously set in my project.

The key to solving the problem as to why \framethickness was not responsive
to a second call was that I was mistaken in my belief as to the order of
layout calls in export commands.

I always assumed the second layout called would be the second layout
processed.  Alas it seems to be the other way around and layouts in export
commands are processed in reverse order.

eg like this:

      export map -projection plan \

      -layout LayoutProcessedLast   \

      -layout LayoutProcessedFirst   \

     -output ../Output/CavePlan.pdf

At least that is what I deduce from the behaviour where there are
conflicting \framethickness statements.

Except I think I have evidence that for some layout content it is the other
way around.

Anyone else have any insights as to the order of layout processing in export
commands?

Bruce