We have been experimenting with using the iphone's 3d sensors (it uses a
combination of structured light and lidar for it's 3d sensing) in the lava
tubes in Iceland and have found it to be vastly superior to using the disto
alone. This is partially due to how strongly magnetic the lava is (magnetic
anomalies of 10s of degrees are very common).  In addition to the lidar and
the structured light sensors, the iPhone uses its magnetic sensors and
accelerometers, this helps it create an accurate model but does also cause
some issues. While the addition of the accelerometers and 3d sensors do
really help, the magnetic anomalies do still sometimes cause us some
issues, the models tend to tear and become inaccurate when we encounter
those. In tight passages it is also very easy to bump the phone against the
floor or ceiling and due to the accelerometers this always messes up the
map. To mediate this, we try to keep our scans to no more than 20 minutes
at a time  when surveying in difficult sections and stitch them together
afterwards. This prevents us from having to repeat large and difficult
scans, but does add some extra work at the computer.

In addition to giving a much more detailed model of the cave than one would
get with the disto the survey also goes much faster. We have easily halved
the survey time in addition to removing much of the frustrations of the
previous methods using the disto x (although it does introduce some new
frustrations of its own).

We have not experimented with creating maps in Therion from iphone
generated 3d models. None of us has prior experience with working with 3d
models so that alone has been a quite steep learning curve with still some
way to go, and on top of that we have only limited experience using
Therion, so that is another learning curve we have to scale. I have
experimented with using Jari Arkko's cave-outliner (
https://github.com/jariarkko/cave-outliner) to generate outlines and
cross-sections and used Inkscape to add details.

Here is an example of a scan from a survey expedition last summer:
https://poly.cam/capture/9A259EC8-3C88-446A-9023-0E589588821C - Can take up
to a minute to load, so be patient.
https://map.is/base/@419189,311927,z14,0 -  Aerial photo of the cave's
unique location within the main crater (shared freely online as the whole
island is closed to the public and has a *very *strict access control, only
allowing a single scientific exploration per year).

This year's expedition was recorded and included in a documentary
celebrating the islands 60 year anniversary. It is available online here
(only available in Icelandic, sadly):
https://www.ruv.is/sjonvarp/spila/surtsey/35251/ag5o1h - The cave section
starts at 49:30 and the iPhone lidar can be seen in action at about 52:50

Best regards,
Þórir Már