Bram

Thanks for this. I tried your ideas and here's what I found.

I downloaded a fresh copy of your HTMLArea project and placed it a new
folder well away from my other test files.

1) On the same PC I've been using for my testing I got the same odd
behaviours in IE6 even after clearing cache and removing the TW
cookie.
2) I got the same odd effects when using the demo file in the HTMLArea/
Examples folder, suggesting that any problem is not in the TW itself
3) I used FireFox 3 on the same test PC and it worked fine! But read
on.

4) I downloaded a copy of the project to another PC and encountered
the misbahviour in IE7. At this point I 'm assuming thre text imply a
problem with IE and HTMLArea.

I don't know if the following are significant but:

- I created a new tiddler in both the IE and Firefox environments,
tagged it with wysiwyg, saved it and reopened it for editing to see if
IE and Firefox behaved differently in any other ways:

  - In IE the standard new tiddler text was present and cursor was
positioned at the beginning of it. The text styles were set to
"normal" in thew drop-down box. If I typed text including carriage
returns then the new lines were separated by lots of spece and text
style drop down continued to show Normal

  - In Firefox, the standard new tiddler text was present and the
cursor was again positioned at the beginning of it. But the text
styles drop-down was set to Heading1. If I immediately saved the
tiddler though, the new tiddler text was NOT displayed as a heading.

  - If instead, I typed text into the new Firefox tiddler along with
some carriage returns, the new lines were not seperated by wide
distances and, wherever I placed the cursor, the text style drop-down
continued to show Heading1. However, when I saved and viewed the
tiddler the text was NOT shown as a heading

  - If I highjlighted all the text in the editor Firefox and reset its
style to Normal, the lines became widely spaced. I could then choose
just one of them and use the style box to give it a heading
successfully or give a line the bullet style. Saving the tiddler
showed the tiddler with just the one line as a heading.

So IE and Firefox appear to open the wysiwyg troddlers with different
text styles at the beginning of the first line even though Firefox
doesn't seem to store the resultant text as a heading until I
explicitly set that style to a single line.

Although Firefox has some advantages in my working environment (it
doesn't throw so many security warnings during normal editing
processes) it's less convenient than IE which is available on more of
my PCs and IE allows users to paste into editing windows whereas
Firefox throws a complicated prohibition which I've yet to find out
how to solve. So I'd prefer to use IE if possible.

Is there by any chance enough information here to confirm that our
problem lies with IE and to see how we might solve it perhaps?

Thanks

Kevin