> I am using the list function of the openStory macro...
> ...to use terms more friendly to the coursebook,
> I created a tiddler zzLocalSettings tagged with systemConfig...

That's the right approach...  one suggestion: instead of using
[[zzLocalSettings]], I recommend calling it
[[StorySaverPluginConfig]].  This ensures that, just like
zzLocalSettings, it will be invoked alphabetically following
StorySaverPlugin, so that it can override the desired text values, but
also makes it clear that those override values are related to
specifically to StorySaverPlugin.

> So this seems to have handled that issue, except that the "add a
> story..." menu item is still shown. While I can change the text, I
> would like to totally remove that entry.

The 'add a story' command is automatically omitted if the document is
being viewed in read-only mode.  Are you saying that you also want to
be able to omit that menu item even when the document is editable?

> Also I was thinking of having multiple "Stories". It seems that it
> should be possible to support an
> optional tag parameter to the openStory and saveStory macros that
> allows support for alternate
> story tags (in my particular case "Presentations" and "Chapters").

OK... I've just added 'extra tags' and 'tag filter' params to the
macros defined by
   http://www.TiddlyTools.com/#StorySaverPlugin (v1.6.0)

new usage:

<<saveStory ask 'save story' 'tooltip' tag tag tag...>>
* optional params following the 'tooltip' are added as tags to newly
saved story tiddler (in addition to the default 'story' tag)

<<openStory list tagValue>>
<<openStory popup label tip tagValue>>
* optional tagValue (default='story') specifies which tag should be
used to match tiddlers that are to be listed as 'stories'.  Note: if
you have TiddlyTools' MatchTagsPlugin installed, you can also use
boolean //tag expressions// to match complex sets of tiddlers.

> Even though I don't use it, a similar
> change to the storyViewer macro in the StoryViewerPlugin would
> probably also be useful.

working on it...

> Would it be possible to add a new view option(s) that
> control where the new story tiddlers gets opened?

possibly... let me think on it for a few minutes...

enjoy,
-e