Just a side comment after looking at the
http://jackparke.googlepages.com/jtw.html#SQLQueryPlugin
mentioned by Wolfgang.  It appears to be able to issue queries to an
existing database (of various kinds), but I would suspect that the
databases are unlikely to be portable in the same way as the wiki
itself.  This would be fine for a wiki located in a stationary
directory on a known network, but doesn't currently meet my needs for
portability across OS's.  I was looking to jquery for this.