On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 4:08:15 AM UTC+1, Mal wrote:

In my application, I think we are mostly dealing with screen shots and
> pretty much only view the wikis on screens, ranging from desktops to
> mobiles, so no need for printing.

Hi,
As TT pointed out I also use IrfanView <https://www.irfanview.com>on
Windows. I think I use it since 2000 or even earlier. It has a lot of
filters ... as plugins AND batch processing!

With screenshots, I think the most important thing is. Consistent initial
size.

Eg: If your wiki is viewed on a 1920x1080 full-hd screen, imo it is enough,
to create full-screen screenshots with the same size *maximum*. Smaller may
be better. Computer screens can handle that well and the file size will be
about 200kByte GIF or PNG per page. ... IF you have text content.

On desktop browsers those images will need to be internally scaled down. ..
So if your users are mainly PC users, you may even go down with initial
size here. If images are scaled down by browsers, it always creates a "poor
feeling". Scaling up is less of a problem. (That's a very personal point of
view :)

Most mobile phones have higher native resolution than that, so browsers
won't even need to internally scale them down if shown.

just some thoughts
mario