TT,

The way it can compile a TW into a executable I thought really interesting
> for potential Desktop application making.

Perhaps I have found a new approach or emphasis that will help adoption,
read on if you are interested.

I was looking at this, taking account of marks review and was thinking if
we were focusing easy of use for nieve users it is still a little peculiar,

   - an exe that when run opens a tab in the default browser,
   - what if the tab is already open?,
   - what if it was run before (New Port Issued one can save over another)
   - if you close the tab (as Mark said)
   - The user may need to use the exe from a programs menu and/or a bookmark

All this made me realise the key advantages are;

   - Single file download and run
   - Presented at a local address to access in any browser

*I see some real uses for TWExe especially for me on Windows, and possibly
on a file share LAN drive. Basically to distribute an application to
desktops.*

However
Considering its advantages and weaknesses I realised the main issue here
seems to be ease of installation and subsequent execution, including going
from "found on the internet" to "making it their own". Because all the
various ways to install TiddlyWiki we have a lot of choice and this choice
adds confusion, but does "not quite deliver an easy and seamless ability to
save".

Whilst it is Operating system dependant I think a wrapper to install
TiddlyWiki in various ways and configuration, from which the user can
choose, may be the key way to smooth adoption. This is not rocket science,
nor does it necessarily need the application of changes to the tiddlywiki
platform, it needs a user focused set of install scripts.

If we could build and make public a set of install scripts for each
platform to wrap tiddlywiki installs, with help information and options we
may overcome many of the barriers and complexity new users face. For
example if Tiddlyserver had an install package with some checkboxes and the
ability to add folders to its tree it would be much easier to use. The
ability to change the IP address its served on or over the LAN during
install or to change settings would simplify the slightly more complex
situations. Finally if rather than a command window showing while its
running this were hidden by a small front end dialogue box it would
resemble many other common applications.

The advantage of calling for some install scripts is we can find expertise
in the community not yet leveraged to do this rather than placing it on
contributors that have worked on the savers and server. I would like to see
this done in a collaborative project to set common standards even across
Operating systems, but if not it would be a good next step any way.

Finally something similar for distribution to mobiles is also possible.
Such as single wiki app that can be preloaded with a TiddlyWiki (url).

What do you think?