Hi Mark

> On 6 Dec 2019, at 15:14, 'Mark S.' via TiddlyWiki
> <tiddlywiki@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Ok, that's the single line, which is put at the top instead of into the
> step-by-step directions:
>
> If you already know GitHub <https://tiddlywiki.com/#GitHub>, note that
> documentation updates must be directed to the tiddlywiki-com branch
>
> I don't know what it means by "directed to the tiddlywiki-com branch."

That paragraph is intended for people who know GitHub, hence the introduction.
For people following the instructions in this tiddler everything is taken care
of automatically.

> Does that mean my branch is a sub-branch of the tiddlywiki-com branch? Or do
> I call my branch tiddlywiki-com ?

You’d clone the repo (which gives you all the branches in the repo), and then
add a new branch that was based on the tiddlywiki-com branch. You shouldn’t
call the branch tiddlywiki-com, either use a short descriptive name, or use a
numbering system.

> For most of us, Github is not really very friendly. It often gives messages
> that are confusing and counter-intuitive. We need all the help we can get.

That’s why those instructions exist for making changes through the GitHub web
interface. The idea is that users following the instructions don’t need to
understand anything about branches etc.

Best wishes

Jeremy.