Mark

Some thoughts

With two parents in genealogy it is recognised there is a patralinial and
matralinial tree and when exploring relationships one chooses which tree to
follow with, towards ancestors or descendants. In either case or when wanting
to investigate both trees it is wise to limit how deep you go. Perhaps 3 back 3
forward and then allow selection of any member in the tree and regenerate 3
back and 3 forward for the selected member.

in active directory, file systems and edirectory inheritance is a litte
different, its part of what I alluded to before dealing with missing values.
Basicaly you look for a value locally then walk back up the tree until you find
the value you are after. This allows the minimum data to be provided because it
effectively trickles down unless overridden.

I have built a method to produce what I call a branch, Basicaly you iterate the
whole tree but store a strait line of ancestors for each item in the tree e.g.
grand, father, son, grandson in a patralinial branch.

You can then use the branch to search for an inherited attribute/value.

If you did this for both matralinial and patralinial branches you could get
conflicting results and this needs to be resolved. Evolution effectively does
this randomly with exceptions. When this is resolved the result needs to be
stored so that subsequent decendants inherit the result.

All this can already be done with a little work.

There is one exception to inheritance flowing down the tree that my father
likes to remind me.

"madness is inheritable, you can catch it from your children"

Regards
Tony