Hi Ton

> We do have several full blown toolbars (Edit, Editor, Page and View toolbar)
> with complete configuration options via Contropl Panel > Appearance >
> Toolbars.
> Top Left bar and Top Right Bar did not have these complete configuration
> options and I expexted they would be added at a certain time but that was not
> true.

They don’t get widely used, perhaps because of the lack of responsiveness.

> Already in the alpha phase of TW5 I experimented with a top toolbar. One of
> the reasons was to get most the functionality of the sidebar in the top
> toolbar.
> In time it became a full blown toolbar with buttons and dropdown lists that
> mimic the sidebar functionality and with the same configuration options of
> the other toolbars see Top_toolbar.png below and /or
> http://tw5toolbar.tiddlyspot.com/
>
> The new Menu bar misses these configuration options; you can add buttons
> tagged with $:/tags/TopLeftbar and/or $:/tags/TopRightbar and that's it;
> there is no possibility to switch them on/off or reorder them.
> So the question is: Why not creating a toolbar based on Top Left Bar / Top
> Right Bar and the existing structure? Then I can dump my own Top toolbar and
> concentrate on special buttons ;-)

If we’d extended either one to be a full width menu bar then we’d have run into
the same problem: it would clash with the other one, and we’d need a strategy
to deal with that along the lines of what we do here.

I also wanted to make it easier for end users to create dropdown menu items
than it is currently is to create a toolbar button with a dropdown.

> See attached No_sidebar_button.png
>
> On your screenshot the chevron is visible next to the search bar. On my image
> no chevron is visible (I made a screen shot of the whole menu bar in case you
> changed the aligning). I tried with Linux Mint 19.3 + Firefox and Chrome.
> Even an iPad did not show the chevron.

Ah, OK, I can duplicate it on iPad and Safari, and will look into it.

>> * I do miss the added buttons in the Menu Bar Configuration (like in the 4
>> toolbar configuration tiddlers)
>
> Which buttons are you referring to? Perhaps again it might be clearer to show
> a screenshot? There is a new “Menu Bar” tab under Basics/Appearance/Toolbars
> in Control Panel.
>
> I mean the configuration buttons available via Contrl Panel > Appearanmce
> Toolbars  see Top_toolbar.png

Do you mean you’d like to see all the page control buttons available as menu
bar items?

>> ** Like I missed these for Left and Right Top Bar
>
> Do you mean that you’d like a UI for enabling and reordering the content of
> those bars?
>
> Yes, as I wrote above.

That might be a good PR for someone?

> In case of my plugins (Top toolbar, Top menu, Tiddlersbar and combinations of
> these plugins, see e.g http://tongerner.tiddlyspot.com/
> <http://tongerner.tiddlyspot.com/> Control Panel > Appearance > Plugin tweaks
> > Layout tweaks) I made a setting for the Top position of the sticky title.
> In your case with a dynamic height there must be a smarter solution.

I don’t think the situations are all that different: if the content of your
topbar wraps to two lines when the screen gets narrow then you’ll also have a
dynamic height for the top bar.

Best wishes

Jeremy.