@Jeremy - thank you for a great and clear reply!

I think there's a misunderstanding (it could be on my part):  IMO the
"outer layout" is very much defined, and static, here. If a user is to add
a "sidebar" then this would not be done on this outer level but *within*
the "right" area.

Referencing the proposal for a new TW layout, it seems to be the same
situation: The outer layout is clearly defined with distinct areas for
headers, sidebars, rivers etc - i.e if one is to add something it would be
done within those areas, not adding a new area. Where would be a good place
to discuss this, with regards to your gh proposal? I'm afraid I'd hijack
your gh thread if done there.

<:-)