I was having the same idea as Mark - treat each child as a separate
tiddler. Because that is how usually things are in TW5 - smallest semantic
unit and all. But I guess each child is a bullet point?

JSON mapping would be much easier if you have a definite structure. So if
the children doesn't have another level of children, it makes writing a
generalized importer much easier.