Folks,

To further this discussion I had a thought, perhaps a companion to
freelinks in an editor toolbar button, to search the existing text and
search for titles and an optionally replace with a [[hard link]]. Freelinks
would let you discover the links, edit mode would allow you to elect which
become permanent.

Personally I have always considered freelinks as an exploratory tool,
something which makes more sense for the designer/author than the user.
Users should be given what they need explicitly. the owner or designer uses
it to discover. Turning off freelinks when not in discover mode.

Regards
Tony