First off let me say please don't ask me any technical questions. I learned
all of this by spending too much time on google. I don't know what any of
those code snippets mean. The intent of the post is to make sure no other
new users have to waste their time.
Second, it's just sad that for a community so active we have so little to
offer in terms of clearly written easy-to-follow-guides for beginners. I
hope that changes.

Here is how to setup tiddlymap to view all tiddlers:

1. In your tiddly map click on the 3 horizontal bars on the right of the
view tab.
2. Create new view
3. Enter the following code and hit OK :

<$tmap view="All" editor="advanced" ></$tmap>

4. Click on the bars again and rename the view to *All*
5. Click on the bars and Configure View.
6. Paste the following code in the Node Filter column under Edit Filters
tab:

[!is[system]]
+[limit[100]]
NOTE: you can delete the +[limit[100]] line if you like.

7. Select Floating Nodes under Layouts tab and hit OK.