On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:52:31 PM UTC-7, amreus wrote:

> It wasn't immediately obvious to me that "filter operators" were not all
> filters - that there are different functions. For example "all" is a filter
> op that *generates* a list and "is" is a filter op that *filters *a list.

A filter operator that *generates* a list is called a "selection
constructor", while a filter operator that *derives its output from its
input* is called a "selection modifier".

This is briefly explained here:
https://tiddlywiki.com/#Selection%20Constructors
<https://tiddlywiki.com/#Selection%20Constructors:%5B%5BSelection%20Constructors%5D%5D%20%5B%5Btitle%20Operator%5D%5D>
.

Only a few filter operators are "selection constructors".

You can see the list of constructors by using $:/AdvancedSearch filter to
search for "[tag[Selection Constructors]]".

enjoy,
-e