Could be (well, probably is) what you said.

But (I think) I'm trying something a bit different (and probably stupid).
The way I'm doing it, I'd never (or rarely) actually open a tiddler in Edit
mode.
I'd always open an instance of a Temporary Tiddler template, which would
grab all relevant info from the tiddler I actually want to edit.
So, for example, if I want to edit Tiddler A, I'd click on it, but in the
background I'd actually get a new Temporary Tiddler, which would have text
fields that connect to the ones in the actual tiddler (ie., most of the
time I'd be in View mode in that Temporary Tiddler, but really editing the
data in the target tiddler).

I'm trying to put together a demo for this. Maybe that will make more clear
what I'm saying (and probably why it's wrong).

Right now my challenge is making the aforementioned CK visual editor work
in the text fields in the Temporary Tiddler.

I had this:
<$edit-text tiddler="Name of Tiddler currently being edited" field="text"
/>

Which works fine. But doesn't play well with the CKEditor.

I thought I could use the correct editor just by adding this:
<$edit-text tiddler="Name of Tiddler currently being edited"
field="text"  type="text/x-htmlp"   />

But no luck ..