Hi CJ,

I am currently trying to accomplish something similar, although you're
already more advanced in your progression. I am by no means an subject
matter expert, just a few thoughts on your setup.

I really like the idea of systematically providing attribution. Although
there are some great examples in the wild my feeling is that proper
licensing and attribution could still be facilitated by establishing
best practices. Whats more, I guess in an environment where copying
content is as easy as drag-and-drop, some more advanced source tracking
(as well as author and license) could also be integrated in the core.

I think a good separation between content and code in own public
TiddlyWikis might be such a best practice, because this allows to
separately use content licenses (e. g. CC BY-*) and code licenses (e. g.
BSD style licenses) appropriately. CC BY-* licenses should not be used
for source code, so I would include a permissive software license to
your standard setup as well that applies to all custom code (maybe
BSD-3-Clause because that's what TW core uses). (An alternative, of
course, would be to use the CC0 1.0 license for both, content and code
or some other software license with a statement on what constitutes
source code.) In case you do add a software license, maybe also be more
specific about what is licensed as CC BY 4.0, i. e. "this wiki's
content" (not just "this work").

I also like the version notice, which makes it easy to recognize
outdated offline copies.

You probably don't need the copyright symbol (as in "©TiddlyWiki")
because it has no legal effect (see [1]), also it is usually followed by
the year of first publication and the author's name---not the name of
the work (TiddlyWiki). I would omit it as it just might spark confusion.

I agree with Chris that adding a license notice as you did might be a
great *addition* to including the license text for each individually
licensed component (such as plugins).

Regards,
Florian

Links