I sympathize.

It's very hard for me to switch gears into TiddlyWiki filter and widget
syntax.  I generate my tiddlers with a combination of SQL and PowerShell
within and around a source template TW.  So I am dealing with two
completely different declarative models (TW - plus HTML/CSS - and SQL
queries) and four different imperative models (C#, Javascript, PowerShell,
SQL procedures) on a daily basis.

I am trying to let each be the best at what it does.  So in cases where I
might have previously generated an HTML table to put in a tiddler, I am
instead replacing that with a macro based on a list(s) of elements put into
a field(s) in the tiddler, and generating more of the raw data into the
fields of the tiddlers and let them render more things based on their
attached data.

I find the filters are really hard to deal with finding which one you
need.  The names are so generic and terse and they are so varied.  I mean
we have tag, tags and tagged which all have to do different things.  And
ones like each, get, has, is, contains - all needed obviously for their
different input and semantics, but it's hard to keep them all in your head
there are so many compared to other languages.

I use a macro to do edit/transclusion extensively, to allow the medical
informaticist to edit tiddlers which annotate things in various places
which need handwritten narratives - so he gets quick feedback since
everything is transcluded, he can see the results immediately as if he was
building the manual in Word or some other documentation tool without having
to cut and paste in new lists of things generated from the datamart.  He
just transcludes them and when they are regenerated, they are updated.

Because we have a combination of edited manual tiddlers and generated
tiddlers, and also need source control for our work simultaneously, I tend
to relegate all control over the template to the medical informaticist and
put anything I want in through the build process - all tiddlers are either
in the template or they are generated, there is no mixing.  Once we
established that separation (generated tiddlers are marked in a field and
are all deleted and recreated during the build process), it has worked very
well.  Generated tiddlers can transclude manual tiddlers and vice versa,
which truly is wonderful.  It's somehow hard to tell whether the system is
filling out a template we have created or we are filling out a template the
build process has created - that is very liberating from the point of view
of generating a rapidly growing data dictionary for our data mart.  It's a
continual learning process and a lot of refactoring and refinement, but I
think the process is a lot smoother and less labor intensive than if we had
a system that was more biased one way or the other towards whether the main
point of view was the generated documentation from manual parts or the
manual documentation from generated parts.

Best of luck,

Cade