Hi Jean-Pierre
> I am professionally concerned by a11y problems, checking website or webapps
> for compliance to WCAG rules. Being French, this means following RGAA for me,
> but this is only a facilitating tool for WCAG.
>
> Whatever. I came upon two points that meant my support tw for RGAA stuff,
> being in French, should mention that outer links to WCAG stuff be in French.
> The standards linking doesn't allow for this. I wrote my own macro to
> elaborated a custom <a> link. But definitely, if I had to recover all the
> specifics of the standard linking mechanism, my macro would have been much
> more complex! So I think the standard markup (or at least the $link widget)
> should allow for specifying the language of the linked page.
>
> BTW, my (crude!) macro:
>
> \define enLink(label, url) <a href="$url$" lang="en">$label$</a>
>
> an example of use (not too much of a hassle to write compared with
> [[label|url]] indeed):
>
> <<enLink "WAI-ARIA 1.1 Authoring Practices"
> "https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices-1.1/";>>
>
> (where it was shown I didn't need anything else for accessibility
> requirements for the kind of links I used within my project)

The <$link> widget is only used for internal links, which I assume are not
covered by the directive?. The usual [ext[link syntax]] or
[[https://example.com/]] for external links generates an <a> tag, so the macro
you’re using would be the recommended solution for a case like this.

Best wishes

Jeremy