Hi all,

I haven't touched TW in quite some time. Yesterday I wanted to get back
to a project I started 6 months ago, and was quickly stuck when using
macros, realizing that my assumptions on how macro expansion works were
wrong.

I would expect macros to be expanded recursively, before any parsing is
done on the string. It seems to be mostly the case, but I do not
understand the following.

If I define & use macros as

  \define foo() 42

  \define bar() <<foo>>

The expansion works as I'm expecting it to, and the output is

However, if I use it as below:

  \define foo() 42

  \define bar() <<foo>>

Then the expansion yields

As if all of the sudden macro expansion wasn't recursive anymore.
I think I'm misunderstanding something :-)

Cheers,
Nico