I think I made the original version of the core BibTeX importer plugin. It’s a
very thin wrapper around this JavaScript library:

https://github.com/ORCID/bibtexParseJs <https://github.com/ORCID/bibtexParseJs>

The current code uses the library to parse the incoming BibTeX string, and
creates a tiddler for each entry as follows:

* The title is set to the citationKey of the entry
* The field bibtex-entry-type is set to the entryType of the entry
* The remaining entry tags are converted into tiddlers of the same name
prefixed with “bibtex-“

As far as I can tell, we’re picking up all the information that is exposed by
the parser, but if there’s anything we’re missing do let me know,

Best wishes

Jeremy