One issue I had and couldn't find a good solution for back then is that the
macro to generate the bibliography only uses one style/type. So for
example: <<showrefs title:"References">> Would generate all the reference
as they were journals. If you hack/made a copy of this macro for books, it
would generate all the references as books. <<showrefs-books
title:"Booklist">>

This is fine if all your references are all the same. So either only
journal's articles or only books. But I often found that my list of
references would contain different types of sources. Some books, some
websites, some articles. And to rewrite the macro so that it would
recognise the type of reference and adjust it's style was (and is) above my
skill level back then, so I went for a low-tech solution of writing out the
correct reference in field and using that to generate the referenceslist.