Understandable Mark.
However, as the original post clearly states, the UI is a quick 5 minute
hack to demonstrate the idea :).

Since this can all be done with wikitext, I had hoped that someone might
feel inspired to build on it.

Once I get the underlying functionality to a place where I am happy with
it, I'll  consider redesigning the UI from scratch for the core. However
this isn't a priority for me. Personally my usage and focus with images is
as part of a heavily customized TiddlyWiki edition that has a completely
different UI and needs, and the work done there in terms of a friendly UX
wouldn't be useful for others.