I've got this idea festering:

Add a select widget to the Editor Toolbar, a "insert a widget" widget.

Populate this select widget with a list of "canned" wikitext for
pre-configured widgets.

Every single item in the select widget will insert, at the cursor location,
the wikitext for the relevant pre-configured widget.

Each pre-configured widget will have "tiddler" parameter set to the macro
<<GetDataTid>>

The code for the GetDataTid macro:

\define  GetDataTid()

{{{ [<dataTid>is[tiddler]] [<currentTiddler>addsuffix[ Data]] +[first[]] }}}

\end

For any widget in a tiddler without the variable <dataTid> defined,
GetDataTid will say the Data Tiddler for whatever widget is the title of a
tiddler = the current tiddler with suffix " Data" added.

If <dataTid> is defined and is a valid tiddler, then GetDataTid will say
the Data Tiddler for whatever widget is the title specified by <dataTid>.

So as long as I always use the "select widget" widget in the editor
toolbar, I should stop running into problems.

Maybe?