> I have got a look at
> https://saqimtiaz.github.io/sq-tw/temp/get-remote-tiddlers.html but in
> the "Interactive import" tiddler, the button reads "fetch Undefined widget
> 'action-getremotetiddler'" and does nothing. I tested it on a recent
> chromium.

That is pretty odd, it works for me in both current Chrome and FF on
Windows 10. Do you see any error messages in the browser console?

>  As for me, I would like to be able to transclude tiddlers from other
> wikis, but not import them per se.

That is not the aim with this POC.  TiddlyWiki does have facilities to load
remote .tid files as tiddlers which might be closer to what you need. It
makes use of the _canonical_uri field but has the same limitations
regarding CORS.