Thanks @Ste

 I briefly looked at twederation but it didn't meet this particular
requirement which would be very helpful for my intended purposes:
"...preferably without needing to have extra plugins installed on the wiki
that is the content source".

It also wasn't clear to me from the ReadMe or the demo whether fetching
tiddlers silently in the background with no user interaction was possible,
which is a must for the workflow I will need.

This is really just a quick hack to understand if what I am envisioning is
technically possible before I start working out the workflow. Now I need to
find the time to flesh out the desired user workflow which is the real
challenge and then I'll return to the technical implementation, which may
involve use of the core syncer. I decided to share this demo in case it was
interesting for others.

Cheers,
Saq