Maki, yeah, I had previously tried inline-block along with a bunch of other
things in that rule. It didn't help because I hadn't targeted the item
underneath it as well.

Saq, thanks, that was *very* helpful. (For anyone else who comes along,
that should be "tc-dragover", with a dash, not a dot.)

The selector I had missed targeting was *.tc-droppable.tc-dragover >
.tc-droppable-placeholder*. (Both the droppable divs and the placeholder
divs beneath them need to be inline-block.) I also needed this goofy rule:

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul > div.tc-droppable
div.tc-droppable-placeholder svg {
height: 0;
width: 1rem;
}

Yes, that's an *svg*, because TiddlyWiki uses a blank image within a *div* for
the placeholder after the last *li* in list-links-draggable. I assume there
is a good reason for this. :-)

Final version for anyone interested:

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump {
background-color: <<color menubar-background>>;
position: fixed;
z-index: 850;
display: inline-block;
top: 0;
right: 0;
left: 0;
text-align: center;
height: 30px;
overflow: auto;
border-bottom: 1px solid <<color muted-foreground>>;
padding-bottom: 3px;
padding-top: 3px;
font-size: 12px;
}

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump a {
color: <<color menubar-foreground>>;
}

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump a.tc-tiddlylink-shadow {
font-weight: normal;
}

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul {
list-style-type: none;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}

/* Droppable placeholders take up no space until we drag something there. */
div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul li.tc-droppable div.tc-droppable-placeholder {
height: 0;
}

/* TW inserts this as a placeholder after the last item. We have to resize
it to match the rest. */
div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul > div.tc-droppable
div.tc-droppable-placeholder svg {
height: 0;
width: 1rem;
}

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump .tc-dropzone.tc-dragover:before {
display: inline-block;
}

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul > li.tc-droppable div,
div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul > div.tc-droppable div {
display: inline-block;
}

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump .tc-droppable.tc-dragover >
.tc-droppable-placeholder {
display: inline-block;
background-color: green;
border: 0px;
width: 1rem;
height: 1rem;
margin-bottom: 0;
margin-top: 0;
padding-bottom: 0;
padding-top: 0;
}

div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul li, div.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul >
div.tc-droppable {
display: inline-block;
}

.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul li div:nth-child(2):after {
padding-left: 5px;
content: "·";
padding-right: 5px;
}

/* not last-child because there's a dropzone after it */
.sib-quick-tiddler-jump ul li:nth-last-child(2) div:after {
content: "";
}