On Sunday, July 4, 2021 at 1:26:21 PM UTC+2 TW Tones wrote:

I assume then if you do not want to use an internet dictionary as you
> source of word checks then perhaps you need the aforementioned 700k of data
> that is a dictionary.

No. I'm perfectly fine with the "Spell Check" preview option, using the
browser built-in dictionaries. ... Since I can install different versions,
I can freely switch between them, without adding bloat to the wiki.

> Of course the browser allows us to download a dictionary to use the spall
> check, but grammar is another thing. Arguably it lends itself to a
> consolidated online database. So with privacy comes reduced functionality
> "as a rule" when that functionality comes from an on demand database that
> someone else curates.

I think: If something is free, I am the product. I'm very sceptic to send
personal content for grammar checking to a 3rd party server where
non-European legislative applies.

> In am keen to know what you think about this apparent issue?

I'm pretty sure, that I'm not the first one with privacy concerns. I'm
pretty sure, that someone else did publish an open-source solution, that I
could use.

If I really need grammar checking I would search for an open-source
project, that provides some docker images, that *I can build* - test and
tweak for my own purposes. Then I would try to find the source for a
browser addOn that I can configure or tweak to connect to my own server.

I would probably have a closer look at: LanguageTool. I didn't fully reat
their privacy statement <https://languagetool.org/legal/privacy> yet, so I
don't know, if I would trust them or not. But it looks interesting.
Especially since I did find some docker related stuff already.

-mario